1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This or that?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by limelight, Apr 26, 2005.

1. limelight

limelight Regular member

Im pretty good with PC's and such, but ive come to a dilemma: CPU or graphics card? Im expecting many of you to say CPU, but heres my system thus far:

Pentium 4 CPU 2.4ghz 800fsb
    128mb ATI radeon 9600 Pro
    1280MB DDR memory
    80GB 7200 HD

The situation is like this: my motherboard can go up to a 3.0ghz, and my graphics card is an AGP slot. I built this pc about two years ago. The reason i want to add this is for 3d gaming, also movie editing, converting and burning. In my situation, would it be better to get the extra 600mhz processor or go for a more powerful graphics card? Whats your picks for graphics cards too? I dont have a ton of cash so something in the 175-200 dollar range would be ideal.

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Quite the dilemma. I don't know about the games, but if you are going to do video editing, which means encoding, you are going to want a bigger processor. Video editing is CPU intensive.

You also need a good video card, which you have already. If your intent is to do alot of video editing, you will also want a large hard drive, which you may or may not dedicate to video productions.

3. Liez4Love

Liez4Love Regular member

I am not to familiar with the radeon cards, but from what i do know, that sounds like a really good card. I would spend my money on the CPU. however i am a newb, and i am not even sure how you buy CPU? how do you go along buying 600 mhz ?

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i'd go for the video card as possibility motherboard won't take the prescott cpu so check board site to see if compatible

5. furkew

furkew Member

maybe a stupid suggestion, but what about upgrading both by buying used products, and the re-sell your old video card and CPU.

I have always subsidised my upgrades by selling the old components, and there are a lot of people out there that have upgraded from P4 3.0 to something higher.

same again on the card, upgrade to a 9800Gt or someting like that. A lot of gamers upgrade frequently. Maybe there is somebody reading this thread that has one of the components for you for a " nice " price

6. limelight

limelight Regular member