1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

those of you with a regular TV and PS3

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by Mr_Pink, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Mr_Pink

Mr_Pink Regular member

I also have a regular (standard TV) with the PS3, so don't feel bad. lol The PS3 is connected via the regular RCA cables (the red/white cable and yellow video cable).

Anyway, how's your picture? Is it crystal clear or are there some discrepancies? On my TV in my room, there are a couple of lines that scroll upwards. It's very annoying. I thought it was simply because I don't have a cable box in my room (I only have an antenna cable going to the TV) but I tried the PS3 in my living room (where there is a cable box) but those scrolling lines are there.

Is it just because the machine is hi-def and the TV isn't, and it needs a hi-def connection? That's what I'm thinking, anyway.

I'm just curious. Regardless, I was going to upgrade to a flat panel LCD very soon.

2. nax0101

nax0101 Regular member

no those lines shouldnt be there mate, when i first got my ps3, i connected it via the scart cable, it was clear, but not as clear as HD lol, but still shouldnt be any lines

3. Mr_Pink

Mr_Pink Regular member

Hmmm, well that is weird. I wonder what it is. If anything, I'll host a video of it somewhere. Then, I'll link it here. Maybe it can help someone in the same predicament.

As I said, however, I'm actively looking for an LCD.

4. stickweed

stickweed Regular member

It could possibly be the cord itself. If you have a ps2 or PSone then just try the cords from that. good luck mate.

5. DBM_Bones

DBM_Bones Regular member

Sound like a ground loop problem.

Get a extension lead, one with a plug that you can unscrew, or change the plug that you can open.

Open the plug and disconnect the earth lead. use this lead for the PS3.

Make sure no other equipment is connected to the TV, Inc Arial, DVD player, Satalite or cable.

This should stop the lines.

6. Mr_Pink

Mr_Pink Regular member

^^ You hit the nail on the head. It is a result of other things being connected. For example, when I'm watching a DVD on my DVD player, those lines are present--when the PS3's av is connected. If I disconnect that AV cable, the lines disappear.

With that said, when I'm playing the PS3, if I were to disconnect the DVD's cables, the lines would probably disappear--but I don't, since it's very hard to access the back of the player.

All this doesn't matter though since I just ordered my new TV last night.

These lines won't be present on the new HDTV right? I'm probably gonna connect my HD cable service to the new TV via the component cable (I think that's all they offer for an HD connection). I'll then, most likely, connect the PS3 to the TV via the HDMI. As for the DVD player, I think it'll connect to the TV via the 2nd component input.

Does that sound right? This is my first go-around for HD material. There shouldn't be any scrolling lines, correct?

I will still post a video of scolling lines just as a reference for other people.

*EDIT* My new 32" LCD Flat Panel HDTV is on its way. It'll be here (or at least it's scheduled to be here) on Wednesday April 25. Woohoo!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007