1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

those who have SATA burners or are knowledgeable

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by 300bowler, Apr 8, 2007.

1. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

Want are the benefits for having a SATA burner rather than an IDE burner?

i am looking at this one for SATA
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106057

also, will this work if i use a PCI Sata card?
    If this capable of working i am also probably going to get a SATA dvd-rom for reading

P.S.
    i do have 2 SATA connections on my MOBO but am currently using them for my HDDs, so thats why i asked about them working on a PCI card.

2. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

There seems to be no benefit to getting a SATA burner. Although there are some decent drives in SATA, there's a better selection of drives in PATA/EIDE and, in my opinion, those drives are much better as well. I imagine this will change as the emphasis goes to SATA, but it hasn't really happened yet and motherboard manufacturers have been pushing SATA for some time now and the burner market has not followed. In your case, especially, if all your SATA ports are full but you have a spare PATA connection, use it, don't go investing in PCI cards. You'll save money, need less setup work, and potentially reduce hardware conflicts.

3. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

thanks for the reply, dunker

yeah, i didn't think there was any benefit that warranted me to get a sata burner, although they have been out for a long time, it seems not much people have them.

4. paiger651

paiger651 Regular member

I have the Samsung SATA drives the only benefit for me was the smaller cables help clean the case up.