1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

THOUGHT THIS MIGHT HELP SOMEONE!!

Discussion in 'PS2' started by jaykool, Jul 10, 2003.

1. jaykool

jaykool Member

I bought 100 verbatim 2x discs and about 25 of them turned out to be coasters on the flip top that i had at the time. I burned at 1x and 2x. I soon saw the need for a magic 3.1 modded ps2 and I have one now and the first thing that i did was to try those coasters and see if any of them worked in this new modded ps2. Surprise, surprise, they didnt. Anyway, i bought some ritek four speed discs, and i havent had a coaster yet. They are coming from the exact same images on my hard drive as the coasters were produced from using verbatim 2x. On these ritek discs, i can even burn at 4x and they have worked on my fliptop and my magic 3.1 modded ps2. With some of the coasters I was having problems with freezing and skipping in movies scenes such as the beginning of MK5 with verbatim, but not one problem with ritek 4x.

In short, I think that the burn speed myth is a hoax. I think that you can burn at whatever speed you like because the dvd writer can only do one thing.....its job...it WILL produce an exact copy...if you are having problems with the game, it is almost SURELY the media. I made 9 coasters of MK 5 on verbatim and the first set of 3 that i make on ritek at 4x worked without a hitch.

If anyone has any thoughts on this, I would love to hear it....

2. c7015

c7015 Regular member

I agree with your speed philosophy that are my feelings too I always burn at the fastest I can and have never had a problem that was from the burner it was always the media I dont really know why some people cant burn at over 4x spped it may have somethign to do with the computers that they are using or the conditions they are burning at or maybe just unlucky

I also find it really strange that your verbatim discs didnt work becasue usually they are the best and I have never had a problem with them what kind are they specifically (ie ...data life plus general use)

3. jaykool

jaykool Member

i dont know exactly what kinds of verbatim discs they were...i do know that i used them at 1x prodominantly and they gave me nothing but coasters....and the ones that did work, worked intermittently...i am using the same computer now and writing the games the exact same way and i havent had a coaster yet.....

4. c7015

c7015 Regular member

well what I was thinking is that the discs were just the right kind I have heard people have problems with just the datawrite and have been fine with the data write plus so it is up in the air but usually you never hear a case of verbatims not working in a ps2 .

5. jaykool

jaykool Member

i know...muy bizarre :)

but i think it is safe to write to the limits of your drive if your computer permits....just make sure you are using good media...the recording speed is just a means to an end...if its not going to work at 4x its not going to work at 1x

6. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

interesting indeed. i have to agree and disagree based on my personal experience. I've done cd based games rthat i could safely burn at 48x without a problem, but others that simply would not work above 4x. on dvd based games i've had a few that i could burn at 4x and they work fine, but others that wouldn't work at even 2x but worked fine at 1x. i think it really comes down to your ps2, what mod you have, and what system you are burning on. and even those factors will change from person to person. I've had games that would not work on my V7 with fliptop and SMD, b ut would work fine on my friends V4 with flitop and SMD. all in all i really think that every system is picky and there simply is no "set in stone" way to do things. everyone will always have issues that other people dont have. but anyway, this is a very interesting thread guys, and i'm sure it will spark alot of testing by people and we should get alot of good feedback from it.

7. Xian

Xian Regular member

I also had trouble with 2x Verbatim on my v2 PS2 with fliptop. I had backed up Dark Cloud 2 and it would start to boot but hang at the point where it checked the memory card. I still had the ISO that dvd decrypter had created on the hard drive, so I burnt it out again to a Ritek and it booted fine. Both burns were at 2x. That was when I first got my Pioneer 105 and it was the only Verbatim disk I ever tried. I used the rest of them for movies and have stuck with Ritek for PS2 backups since then.

8. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

This is a topic that comes up constantly and is very touchy at times but this thread has been on point so far....

Here are my thoughts on it.

In my tutorial I state this :

This alone is just one very important part of creating a correct image (of anything on the fly that is). Other factors include :

1) media (which can be a toss up because sometimes you get a bad batch)

2) computer components such as

a) processor speed
    b) ram
    c) ide cables (dma/udma/shielded or not etc.)
    d) power supply quality and voltages
    e) motherboard quality
    f) disc drive reader (can it read sub channel data for PS1 games or other types etc.)
    g) disc drive burner (can it write sub channel data for PS1 games or other types etc.)
    h) If you are using a USB/Firewire connection for writer

3) What software you use (correct serial, updates, compatibility etc.)

4) What operating system you use

5) What programs are running in the background that you mght not know of

I write everything at the maximum speed 48x for anything CD-R, 24x for anything CD-RW, 2x for anything DVD-R and 1x for anything DVD-RW (my burner can only do 1x) because I have confidence in the parts, items, media and programs I use. I have had my share of coasters but it comes with the territory but I can honestly say it is maybe 1 or 2 every few months.

Everybody will have different experiences, but hopefully this will thread will help out a great deal.__X_X_X_X_X_[small][bold]Please use the Search function http://forums.afterdawn.com/search/ before posting or refer to my Tutorial http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/15105[/bold][/small]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2003
  9. BULL156

BULL156 Member

I have had two coasters with verbatim disks and am going to order some ritek disks and give them a try. I have just recently bought a ps2 with dms3 installed,But have yet to get a back-up to work.I have used alcohol 120% and the clony xxl plug in to back-up the hulk and lord of the rings but neither of them work any help would be greatly appreciated.

10. c7015

c7015 Regular member

burning speed and coasters are a post hoc fallacy people assume that it is the burning speed when it could be a numebr of different variables (computer availible ram setup) any given variable at any given time can lead to a coaster that may or may not have to do with the speed of burn but we assume it is the speed of the burn and blame it on that

if it was really the burn that was abd at 4x speed than it would come up failed burn where as if it did not play it does not nessisarily mean that it was burned too fast there were just other variables that could not be accounted for or recognised

that is aslo not to say that their arent exceptions however most often times this is the case

11. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Do you think some of you guys could do an expriment or something? And jaycool, I think the hot mugs on those coasters might have affected the workability of the disc. Just a theory!

12. BULL156

BULL156 Member

Could someone please tell me what is the best media type for writing with a hp dvd writer 300i that uses dvd+r media not dvd-r media

13. jaykool

jaykool Member

very well said c7015

14. spikeleee

spikeleee Member

Although I find that Ritek's are the BEST for DVD movie backups, I find that the PS2 will work with cheap brands in the 80 cent range, such as DVD Pro/Princo, Optodisk, Meritline brand and even CompUSA brand on sale.

15. jaykool

jaykool Member

thats what u think....good luck using those....they MIGHT work for about a couple of weeks if you're lucky, then the next thing you know, they will all of a sudden be unreadable by the ps2...i think that it is due to the fact that the ink on the bottom of the disc fades after a certain period of time because those discs are coasters upon creation...

16. c7015

c7015 Regular member

i also get coasters with princo media but lots of people will swear by them and if you can use them it is a good thing because they are cheap as h*ll but for those uf us who cant the same problem occures skipping out and an obvious fading out of the dye

17. darthnip

yeah i'm one of the lucky ones, princo's are the most reliable discs i use. it just proves that everyone wil have a different situation and different results. It's cool that way though, keeps us busy. if it were all just straight forward 1.2.3, woah, wouldn't that be boring!

18. c7015

c7015 Regular member

hey darthnip what burning software do you use

19. darthnip

20. c7015

c7015 Regular member

well that puts that theory to rest ..unless

I sent you a PM