1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on DVDXCopy SW

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by CptCrash, Jan 12, 2003.

1. CptCrash

CptCrash Regular member

Anyone every use this SW to backup DVD movies? I hear it works ok and may start using it. What do you think???

2. malum

malum Regular member

IMHO it's OK for people that can't work out how to do it with the free software or don't have the time to learn.
    If you have an IQ above 100 and have a bit of time then save yourself $100 and learn the hard way

3. dowzup

dowzup Member

I look at it a little bit differently. My time is valuable... far more valuable than the $100 I'd save by monkeying around with several different proggies to rip, modify and burn my backups.

DVD X COPY works perfectly for me everytime. I tell it to copy and it handles everything for me, with the final result being exact DVD quality audio and video. It's really silly to not spend the $100, in my opinion.

4. malum

malum Regular member

you seem to look at it the same to me?
    You don't have the time therefore you use DVDXcopy.

The time element BTW is the learning part. Once you know how to do it the process takes about the same amount of time unless you want to re-ancode films to fit on one disc, which is something that DVDXcopy can't do anyway.

5. dowzup

dowzup Member

I toyed around with the 'learning' part for a bit. I found the guides that most everyone put together to be very poorly written, and somewhere along the way I read a post about DVD X COPY. I ordered it the same day, even though I had not even received my DVD-R burner yet. I've never looked back.

Now, my IQ checks out right around 140, so I'm obviously not a blithering idiot. And, no matter how easy it is after learning, there's still no way to equate hitting one button with the process used in these guides. Isn't that fair to say?

By the way, if you want -just- the movie in DVD X COPY, it's easy to deselect the extras. The plain movie itself seems to fit on a single DVD-R more often than not, in my experience.

Best of luck, whichever way you go.

6. malum

malum Regular member

No it isn't as easy as clicking one button, but it isn't difficult either. I also found the guides to be poorly written and the learning curve was steep had I found DVDXcopy before I went through the learning process I may well have stuck with it, but having done the learning and then tried DVDxcopy I came to the conclusion that an extra few button presses were worth it.
    Deslecting the extras etc will only get a small proportion of films on one disc, you may have just been lucky with the films you have chosen.
    Not that it is a big deal to put the films on two discs (I used to split all my oversized films until I discovered CCE).

I am therefore commenting after experiencing both ways of doing it rather than just spouting the usual "my way is better than yours" mantra that seems to predominate discussions on the web. (I just read this and it looks a bit like a dig at you, it isn't I assure you)

As I said if you don't have the time or the inclination then DVDxcopy works fine. If you do have the time and you want to learn a bit about the process then give it a bash.
    For me part of the fun of doing it is the learning that goes with it, once something is easy it ceases to be interesting.

7. dowzup

dowzup Member

malum,

Are you having luck getting all DVD's on one disc with excellent sound and video quality?

I have to admit that I was skeptical about that back when I was trying to learn.

8. malum

malum Regular member

The sound quality is the same because it stays as it is you just rip it on it's own and add it back in after re-encoding the video.

I did Gladiator yesterday which is 2 hours 28 minutes. I did a 3 pass compression with CCE and the quality is stunning.
    I can't tell the difference and not only am I extremely fussy I have a high end system (because I am fussy) that would show up any artifacts.
    The downside is of course that CCE costs $2,500 but it is a spanking piece of software. It even enables you to go through the movie and see on a graph where the bit rate needs to be increased in order to avoid artifacts, which you can then adjust. (I haven't got into that side of it yet though as Galdiator is the longest film I've done to one disc)

I have am excellent guide for it somewhere. I don't have the link here though.

9. dowzup

dowzup Member

Holy cow! I think I'll keep the $2,500 and pay for the blank media! LOL

10. malum

malum Regular member

wise.

there are ways and means ;-)

11. risky4me

risky4me Guest

As already stated, the time factor is critical. I don't want to tie up my computer for long periods of time, especially if it is MY time. I have used XCopy to backup a number of movies. About half (50%) required 2 discs (such as Harry Potter). But even with 2 discs, XCopy completed the copying in an hour or less with minimal input from me. Quick and simple. Memorex +R discs are $2 each at Best Buy (in bulk). That is certainly cheaper than my time. Disc #2 starts immediately with the movie; doesn't bother me that much (multi tray DVD player). I feel sure that a movie this long (3 hours) won't fit on a single disc using Decryptor, unless you compress it. (The "editing" features with Xcopy are very limited, and if it still requires two discs why not copy everything.)

I'm very satisfied with Xcopy....works very well as designed, but does set you back $100, but might also save you some time. If you use Decryptor & Infoedit to rip, strip and burn a DVD, how long does it take to copy a 2-3 hour movie? I might give it a try!

12. CptCrash

CptCrash Regular member

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

13. malum

malum Regular member

"you use Decryptor & Infoedit to rip, strip and burn a DVD, how long does it take to copy a 2-3 hour movie?"

Depends on the rip speed of your DVD player.
    Lets say 20 mins to rip, 15 minutes to strip and split and 45 mins to burn. (my DVD writer rips much slower than this, typicaly at 2x so takes about 45 -60 mins to rip, but this was the same with DVDxcopy)

Of course if you want to compress it to one disc then the encoding takes about 9 hours (it doesn't involove any input though so I leave it over night)

Discs seem to cost more over there. A blank DVD-R here costs 50p (80 cents)

14. malum

malum Regular member

BTW am about to do Harry Potter onto one disc.
    I'll let you know what it looks like.

15. risky4me

risky4me Guest

malum

Thanks for the input. I have been planning to give Smartripper (or Decryptor) a try. Some of the movies I have copied probably could have been edited down to fit on one disc. However, if Xcopy shows both discs at about 4g's, then I really doubt anything but compression would make it fit on one disc, and I can't possibly tie up my computer for 6-9 hours. I have a teenager (enough said). (I don't understand how they can IM with so many people at one time. It would drive me crazy...still does).

16. -LD

-LD Member

i enjoy the "geek factor" of using tools like dvd decryptor and ifoedit...but to be honest, i wouldn't use them on a regular basis for normal DVD backups

DXC makes it quick and simple...a no brainer...which is the biggest benefit...now that they have derrow onboard it will soon have all the strengths of ifo and vob edit (probably in the platinum edition)

i still use the free tools for certain things, but usually it's not for making a copy of an entire DVD

DXC isn't the cheapest though i think it is reasonably priced...and if you get it from them online before jan 31 you get free lifetime upgrades

17. MrFixit

MrFixit Member

I've spent the past month trying to backup my DVDs the FREE way. (via DVD Decrypter and IFOEdit) The DVD Decrypter part is VERY easy, but once I open IFOEdit, all confusion breaks loose. The people who make the IFOEdit guides act likes this program is easier to use than Microsoft Word. I spent over an hour doing what I THOUGHT was deleting the extra features and unwanted audio tracks, but it turns out I didn't get delete anything.
    I gave up on it and am planning on purchasing DVDXCOPY. It isnt a flawless program, but the very minimum that it will do is what the title suggests: make a back-up of your DVD. (no loss of quality or special features)
    Most DVDs nowadays will need two DVD+Rs to be backed-up, but DVDXCOPY tries to get most of the movie on disc 1 and the special features on disc2.
    Quality is very important to me and DVDXCOPY has the same probability of fitting a movie onto one DVD+R as those "7 program" methods. And they have a new version that will be released soon that can get rid of unwanted DVD features.
    So, if I had to choose between juggling through a bunch of programs in hopes to get a movie onto one DVD-R OR clicking a few buttons and letting ONE program do all the tasks that half a dozon programs do, I'll choose the latter.

18. risky4me

risky4me Guest

It totally depends on what movies you backup (and how long they are). I'm still running about 50/50 for requiring 2 discs instead of one. I ran into an interesting situation last night. The movie used both sides (front & back) rather than dual-layers. The movie was on the front, the features on the back, which made it very simple to copy only the movie onto one disc; To bad they all aren't as simple as this.

19. SevenVII

SevenVII Member

Took me about 2 weeks to learn the software. But now I can do each movie with a few checkups on the computer here and there. It takes about 1 to 2 hours to do a regular copy with just getting rid of the junk. It takes 5 or more if I need to encode it.

I have dvdxcopy, didnt pay for it, and only used it once. To me having 2 discs when I only need 1 doesnt make since. All movies have came out fine so far. The only ones I think im gonna split are pearl harbour, and any others nearing the 3 hours length. Gladiator looked good, and so did Saving Private Ryan.

It is all up to you, and 99 bucks isnt too much for a program that can save you a lot of headache. But honestly, this stuff is pretty cake now after 2 weeks.

Now I just need to learn how to turn home movies, .mpg, .avi, etc to VOB's and author my own dvds.

20. wildthang

wildthang Member

I agree with the above. Yes, we can use both tools depending on your preference. Just like
    some people like Smartripper vs Decryptor. I got my copy from Derrow after I purchased DVD Split, which was another tool I used for 2+ hour DVD back ups. The first version of DVDXCopy was flakie and best but the 1.3.1 version is awesome (Thank's to Derrow). Also how many of you ever had that almost impossible back up. I know I have, so when all else fails DVDXCopy is a failsafe.