1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

thoughts on the NFL draft

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by mikeyb25, Apr 25, 2005.

1. mikeyb25

mikeyb25 Member

Anything you want to talk about with the draft and any season predictions.
    I am a huge Wolverine fan and I was pretty puzzled when Ernest Shazor wasn't even drafted when he was predicted to go in the late 2nd or early 3rd round. He was an all american strong saftey.
    Lions 7-9

2. ashroy01

ashroy01 Regular member

I like the Steelers and WVU. I read all the mock drafts but it still amazed me to see see Adam Jones, from WVU of all places go at no. 6 I'm surprised the Lions took Mike Williams - even though he's an excellent WR, with them already having Rogers and Williams both 1st Rd selections '03, '04. Like your Michigan player, I was surprised to see WVU's RB Kay-Jay Harris go undrafted as a preseason Heisman contender but an injury-plagued senior-year. I can't really make predictions because the NFL is so unpredictable these days but I'm curious to see how the draftees do and who makes an impact. Vikings taking Troy Williamson instead of Mike Williams seemed odd, but they've got highly-paid guys doing research and making decisions, so I'd take their word over my own any day. After thinking about it a little more I realized Daunte Culpepper might need a fly-route speedster over a posession one like Williams - but time will tell. Shawne Merriman, OLB-MD was drafted ahead of Derrick Johnson ILB-TX but not sure if teams consider outside and inside linebackers interchangeable. Johnson was considered the best athlete in this year's draft by some, kind of like Sean Taylor was last year. I'm so happy to see Maurice Clarett finally get drafted and I won't have to hear about it anymore. Hopefully in a few years I'll have to stop and think to remember who he was. The Jets took that kicker 2nd round. Like I said before, I'm not a GM but what are they thinking?

I'm just going to enjoy baseball season for now (Go Orioles). I'm still full from the 2004 NFL season and all the coverage - it's getting way out of hand. I remember watching Monday Night Football and they would come back from commercial, somebody would kickoff, and then back to commercial, it's so bland. Get ready for lots of Coors ads.

3. mikeyb25

mikeyb25 Member

I agree with you ashroy01 about Clarett with the talk about the draft but he is still going to be in the spot light as the investigation with OSU goes on. I also surprised to see "pacman" Jones go so early along with the other five CB's that went in the first round incuding Wolverine Marlin Jackson. The Mike Williams pick surprised the heck out of me too but I think that might have alot to say about what the Lions think about Rogers durability in the NFL. And not to get down on the Bears fans, but I was happy to see Braylon Edwards not go to the bears. They have a habbit of ruining young players. He should be able to develope under the new Browns coaching.

4. ashroy01

ashroy01 Regular member

Yeah, I think the Steelers would have taken Jackson with Matt Jones taken, but he was taken one pick before the Steelers, the Colts? Yeah, it's a shame Rogers has had such a bad go of it. I had to look this up but he was taken #2 overall in '03.

It's hard for some players because where they end up can determine a lot about their performances. I'd like to see the Browns do well, they're one of those teams that you start rooting for out of sympathy, in a good way.