1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

three backups failed, flaming freaking pissed!!!

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by pooface, Sep 22, 2004.

1. pooface

pooface Member

I had a magic 3.1+D9 mod chip installed into my playstation, and yesterday I tried to backup some of my games. I used +RW discs which I was later told don't work and they didn't. OK I see the problem there, so I went and got a ten pack of verbatim +R because that is what a lot of people recommended. I tried some movies on TDK+R's and they worked fine. I used dvd decrypt and this time I got the red screen "Please insert a playstation or playstation 2 media disc" I have done everything I can think of the only thing left is the chip. Is there any way to test the chip to see if its installed correctly? This is what I do from start to finish when I attempt a backup.

I put the Playstation 2 game into my dvd drive. I open up dvd decrypter and I click on the mode button, scroll down to iso and select read. The program then gives me a list of garbage on the right hand side which says,

AXV CD/DVD-ROM 2.2a (SCSI)
    Current Profile: DVD-ROM

Disc Information:
    Erasable: No
    Sessions: 1
    Sectors: 1,358,192
    Size: 2,781,577,216 bytes
    Time: 301:51:17 (MM:SS:FF)

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
    Book Type: DVD-ROM
    Part Version: 1
    Disc Size: 120mm
    Maximum Read Rate: 10.08Mbps
    Number of Layers: 1
    Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
    Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit
    Track Density: 0.74 um/track
    First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
    Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 1,554,799
    Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

So then I hit the decrypt button(the big one with the disc and a green arrow pointing to the hard drive icon.) So it then starts to write the iso file to my hard drive. So now I have an mds file that is called dvdimage and its 5KB. Along with that is a winrar archive that says dvdimage and its 2,716,384KB. So now I go back to dvd decrypter and click on iso, write. I then select the try to select the winrar dvdimage thats 2Gb but a message says I have to use the mds file so then I click on the write button. So it starts to write to the disc and after about 17 minutes its finished. Now the info on the right reads

PHILIPS DVD+RW-D28 1.29 (ATA)
    Current Profile: DVD+R

Disc Information:
    Erasable: No
    Sessions: 1
    Sectors: 1,358,192
    Size: 2,781,577,216 bytes
    Time: 301:51:17 (MM:SS:FF)
    Supported Write Speeds: 2x, 2.4x

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
    Disc ID: MCC-003-00
    Book Type: DVD+R
    Part Version: 1
    Disc Size: 120mm
    Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
    Number of Layers: 1
    Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
    Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit
    Track Density: 0.74 um/track
    First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
    Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 1,554,799
    Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

So have I done everything right so far? Was I supposed to extract the winrar dvdimage file? Did I burn it onto the disc correctly? Now to the best of my knowledge I have done everything right. I go put the back up in the playstation then I hit the reset button and it takes me to the screen that says to put in the playstation2 media. I try turning the power off and then on I try ejecting the disc and then putting it back in everytime with the same results, could it be the verbatim, I thought if the machine would read TDK+R's then it should read Verbatim+R's. The only thing left I can think of is the chip. No matter what I try I get the red screen. Are the verbatim discs I bought no good? I really can't think of anything else that could be wrong, I write at 1X speed and use dvd+r verbatim discs, but nothing works.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2004
  2. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

ok the reason your iso show up as rar files is because you have win rar associated with iso files, to get your iso files to show as iso files not rar archives go to the programs menu and load up the win rar program,go across the top menu's to the options menu click it and select the settings option from the drop down menu,a new window will appear, go across the tabs to the integration tab click it, look to the left side were it says associate win rar with and untick next to were it says iso, click ok and close the program, your iso files should now show up as iso files not rar archives anymore
    you seem to be using dvd decrypter correctly and it seems to be burning right,what version ps2 do you have?

3. jonjakjam

jonjakjam Regular member

You do know that burned Dvd movies work without a mod right?
    Im sure your MOD is the problem. do you know someone with modded PS2? you could try the backups on there PS2 and see if they work.
    Your burnt your backups correctly and your using high quality dvds... its GOT to be your mod =)
    did you install it yourself?

4. pooface

pooface Member

I have a version 5 or 6 Im not sure which. I didn't install it myself, but the guy that did install it didn't seem all that confident. So I am pretty sure its the chip. I have done everything right so I am thinking its the mod. Is there anyway to test the mod chip? Even though I am 99 percent sure the chip is installed wrong. And since I am probably going to end up sending my ps2 to a pro I was wondering if someone knows a really good place, with fair prices (notice I said fair not cheap I have learned my lesson). As advice to anyone thinking about modding your ps2 don't cheap out like I did, get someone who knows what there doing. Thanks for the help

Last edited: Sep 23, 2004
  5. nelswick

nelswick Regular member

i got a matrix infinity installed by http://www.norcalmods.com and they did an excellent job. i havent had any problems yet.

6. vi3t

vi3t Member

Yea...same thing happen to me. At the PS2 logo it matrix infinity v1.0 , i tried 3 backups with dvd decryter but it never work. There is that danmm red sceen. I think i install the chip right beacuse i can turn it off and skip the logo and all that. Can someone show me how to get this to work?