1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Three red lights

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by Sonofsmy, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Sonofsmy

Sonofsmy Member

Hi Guys,
    Im aware that I'm a noob and that this has probably been done to death but, having just spent the last three hours searching the net (including previous threads), I'm desperate. I have the three red lights of death, I've tried the towel trick and even tried the solder gun, my Xbox is out of warranty (been modded anyway), is there any other way to fix the fault or do I just use it as an expensive paperweight?
    All help appreciated!

2. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

try the towel trick for a longer period of time, or maybe you can try the heat gun method, im sure you can fix it, a while back someone here posted something about gluing erasers to the ram on the motherboard, lol im not sure if it works or not, but seeing as your cant get it to work at all it cant hurt...

3. steimy

steimy Active member

a while back someone here posted something about gluing erasers to the ram on the motherboard

Oh, you have got to be kidding me LOL
    I also saw a video where on Youtube of some guy fixing his by smacking it around (no joke, it actually worked) :)

I guess at that point, as said above, you do not have much to lose.

4. handsom

handsom Regular member

I too, recommend the towel trick strongly.

The first time did it, I had very limited success, about fifteen/twenty minutes before a crash.

After the first time, I went to do it again. Coincidentally, I had moved the power supply to a completely different shelf, over some concern it had given me. When I powered up the system and left it for fifteen minutes with nothing inside, I came back, and it still felt colder than room temp. So I opted to put a game in, crackdown, to make the sysem work a little harder, and generate some real heat. I played for a few minutes to make it crash again, and was surprised to be standing in front of my tv for about fifteen minutes without a single hiccup, glitch, or crash. Then my wife jumped on for a bit. Three hours later, only the rear exhaust fan was even warm, but still not what would qualify as being remotely 'hot'. The system ended up going all day from morning to night, without being turned off. It ran perfectly with that towel on.

It may have been more related to the power supply; but I'm hesitant to conclude that; because I did try the system after moving the power supply away from it, without a towel, and it ran for about two minutes before I got a freeze and another error 0102/0110(They've been found to be much similar, in some cases the same). I'm going to try it again, without the towel, and see how it works. I'm also going to make a point of not getting too caught up in it, because it may or may not work for more than an hour, lol.

Anywho, my point is, trying the towel method longer, or (in some cases) permanently may still help your situation. If you're out of warranty, and you're smart enough to keep an eye on the temperature, what have you got to lose?

5. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

lol you may try this

6. Sonofsmy

Sonofsmy Member

Thanks guys, not too sure about that ^ tho, still, as you say, I have nothing to lose...