1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Throwing Random speakers into a theater?

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by Bangerang, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Bangerang

Bangerang Member

I have a really nice yamaha home theater system. It is a 5.1.

Anyways, I was wondering what kinda effect the system would have if I took 2 speakers off a random stereo and connect them up to the empty ports on the receiver. I am guessing they would be either L&R surrounds or fronts. They are pretty old speakers... so would it be worth it to throw them on for a dvd shindig, or would it take away from the other speakers and make it sound like shat?

2. RCBabcock

RCBabcock Member

I'd advise against it. The voice matching of speakers is crucial for MC audio- especially for the front three. You can get away with a bit of a mismatch in the rears, but for best performance you need the timbre to be similar at least, and identical is best.

You could give it a shot, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

3. Bangerang

Bangerang Member

Exactly what I wanted. Thank you.

4. Bangerang

Bangerang Member

Exactly what I wanted. Thank you.

5. goose2000

goose2000 Member

I use different speakers on my Denon AVC-A1SRA A/V Amplifier which has independant bass, treble and Level controls, and i find that speaker matching is not a MUST unless your a complete and utter quality freak, i think obviously it would be better having a full matching speaker package, for looks and sound, but i think if you havent then it will still sound extremely nice. If your speakers are of good quality anyway. You should have ports for 2 front, 1 Centre, 2 or 4 Surround, and 1 subwoofer

Last edited: Aug 14, 2004
  6. sdifox

sdifox Regular member

Are you talking about going 7.1 on the yamaha? Give it a shot, you may like it or you may hate it, but you will not know until you try it.

Timbre matching is important across the front 3 and between the surrounds. Front to back timbre matching is not as crucial since our hearing is not that precise.