1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time and Date settings will not save

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by redragon0, Jun 15, 2007.

1. redragon0

redragon0 Member

When ever I leave my laptop off and unplugged from the for more than 1hr the Time and Date setting are lost and when I try to boot up the laptop it gives me this error and asks me to run setup or load default settings.

CMOS Settings Wrong
    Cmos Date/Time Not Set
    Press F1 Run Setup
    Press F2 load default values and continue

All I do is input the correct date and time and its fine until I unplug it to go anywhere again. There is nothing wrong with the battery as it has a full charge whenever I turn the laptop back on to use so have no idea why the settings are being lost can anyone help

2. Vicious88

Vicious88 Regular member

Your CMOS battery is dead. The battery itself is cheap, but the labor people will charge you to put it in is something else entirely different...

On your motherboard (regardless of the age or model of your machine) you will find a large flat battery resemblant of a watch battery. This is the battery that runs just the basic functions of keeping time and remembering your BIOS/CMOS settings.

The battery is something I normally don't charge my customers for, but you'll be lucky if you can find a place that will charge you less than $50 bucks to put it in.

Lol, if you're willing to fly all the way to Florida and swing in System Integrity Networks, I'll put it for you, reset your clock and BIOS settings to their optimal, only for $10. Actually scratch that, I'll do it for free, just knowing you spent like $400 in traveling expenses.

3. redragon0

redragon0 Member

Well what you don't realise butty is that I'm living in the US in Bonifay FL at the moment working as a pilot so can very easily come to your store lol. So where are you in Florida exactly and if you want I'll forget your said "no charge" lol

4. Vicious88

Vicious88 Regular member

Lol, I'm running shop in Molino FL, about 20 miles north of the heart of Pensacola. If you're serious, you can PM me, and I'll give you the business phone number and you can call if you're in town.

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

Vicious, laptops don't use the same battery as desktops. laptops' cmos battery is usually a rechargeable 1 whereas desktops are lithium battery cr2032. i know as i have fixed a few laptops in replacing that battery.

6. Vicious88

Vicious88 Regular member

Well while I won't contradict a moderator, but the batteries in desktops are similar to those in laptops in terms that they both recharge* (*if properly powered and cared for).

I'm aware there are differences in the batteries, this much I know, but fact be fact I've quiet a few Spare-Part laptops which have good batteries in them.

I do however appreciate you noting the difference, because it is refreshing to run across someone who DOES know what they're talking about. It's a rarity in my line of work, lol. Too many overly confident applicants will try to tell me stuff that just isn't right, but I'll put it like this - if you were local, I'd hire you.

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

the battery in a desktop does not recharge like a rechargeable as a desktop battery is usually a lithium battery cr2032. they haven't done rechargeables for desktops since about the 1st or 2nd generation 486's. i'm in canada & do this as a combination hobby & living. been playing somewhat with computers for about 23yrs.