1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

time display and chapter navigation functions on set top player does not display correctly

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by nnolte, Nov 19, 2002.

1. nnolte

nnolte Member

When I play a backed up DVD on my set top DVD player (a Sony DVP-NC600) the time display jitters forward and backward (while the movie plays correctly) for the first couple minutes and then increments correctly, but is about a minute behind. When I try to navigate chapters, the DVD player goes to the correct point but freezes the video. The DVD must be restarted in order to watch the movie. If I don't use chapter navigation, the DVD will play all of the way through. The disc works perfectly in a DVD-ROM drive on my computer.

Any idea why the time display and chapter navigation function won't work?

Here's how I burned the DVD-
    Unsuccessful Method 1: I ripped the DVD with Smartripper 2.41 (using the "rip movie" method to just rip a single program chain), stripped unwanted streams with IFOedit 0.95, downsampled the video with ReMPEG2 1.5.2, remultiplexed the VOBs with IFOedit, clicked GET VTS SECTORS in IFOedit, and burned with Nero 5.5.9.14.

Unsuccessful Method 2: I have also tried demuxing the video and audio, downsampling with ReMPEG2, saving the Celltimes.txt in IFOedit and using the IFOedit DVD authoring function to reassemble VOB files and GET VTS SECTORS, and burn with Nero. However, I still get the same problem.

2. d0qtrX

d0qtrX Member

I have the same problem. The dvd will play fine-- as long as I don't touch the remote. The timer stops at 6 or 7 seconds, and if I ff or skip chapters the movie will grind to a halt.

I'm at a loss. I think it has something to do with the MPEG-2 format. It's encoded as 24fps with 3:2 pulldown when playback (like the original). Maybe it's a problem in the IFO files or the navigation pointers, or some shit. I have not figured it out yet.

I have a Pioneer DV-503 player, and I'm trying to copy the new Fellowship of the Ring DVD.

Other copies I have work fine. It's just this one tricky bastard.

3. nnolte

nnolte Member

I have a HP DVD-200xi recorder and also have only had the problem with a couple movies- The Good, The Bad and The Ugly and The Blues Brothers.

Do you use REMPEG2 or another MPEG2 re-encoder? Are you using Nero to burn or something else? Do you rip with SmartRipper in movie mode or some other ripper? What we use in common may be the problem.

4. d0qtrX

d0qtrX Member

I use DVDDecrypter to rip.

TMPEG to reencode

Idoedit to either remux, or reauthor.

I will try the remux method again today, and then go thru my IFOs with a fine-toothed comb.

Then I might try dumping the ifos, and creating a new set in IFOedit out of deaparation.

I burn using Prassi.

I'll post again tomorrow with my findings.

This crap has been driving me nuts all week :)

IfoEdit seems to be the only common denomonator.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2002
  5. nnolte

nnolte Member

You're right IFOedit seems to be the only thing that's the same. I don't believe there is any replacement for IFOedit to test whether it is the problem (without reauthoring). I am using v0.95. Let me know what happens if you ever figure out the problem.

BTW- I have used Memorex DVD+R and the HP DVD+RW that came with the drive with the same probelm on each, so I doubt its media.

6. d0qtrX

d0qtrX Member

It's IfoEdit. Has to be.

I said "F--- it" and used my DVD authoring app (DVD IT!) to create the disc. Worked perfectly.

Disadvantages:

1. I lose 6 of the 7 audio tracks
    2. I lose 5 of the 5 subtilte 'tracks?'

The chapter points aren't EXACTLY the same as the original. There is a drift of about 10 seconds over 1:45 minutes, which isn't too bad. I just need to take the time to adjust them.

IfoEdit held the promise of simple authoring, but it just seems to not like some movies for some reason. Maybe it will be fixed in the future.

7. nnolte

nnolte Member

I have discovered if you don't use chapters in IFOedit, it will not freeze.

I would just use DVDit as you state, but it can't handle 6 channel audio and some disks don't have a 2/0 stereo track.