1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time it takes to Shrink with DVD Shrink ???

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Paladin36, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Paladin36

Paladin36 Member

Please need help, I have used DVD Shrink and it would take about the average between 2 to 3 hours to shrink and backup a movie. I was OK with that, BUT, now I am trying to make a backup of "Hidalgo" and it starts out to encode, time remaining is 647 hours, it goes down to 64 hours 19 minutes when finally some blue shows in the status line.
    Decryption status is at : CO:32:84:8B;65
    Rate 32 KB/s
    Buffered 3MB
    Time Remaining 64 hours 19 minutes.
    This just started acting up like this, I have backed up movies before with out a problem. I close down all my other applications, my taskbar is emty and leave the machine alone to do it's work.
    What can and should I do to fix this? Plus I downloaded and installed the ladest version, 3.2.0.15.
    Thank you

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

3. nist

nist Member

Try to rip the dvd with dvd decrypter to HD and then use shrink on the ripped HD version instead. This kind of problem happend to me once and that solved it.
    If you use Nero then could you try to uncheck the "enable burning with nero". Seems strange but it actually helped to rip the dvd when I unchecked it. Probably due to what aspi layer used (or am i totally wrong!?).

4. zippyd

zippyd Regular member

I would guess that Nephilim is on the most probable path , but also when was your last defrag? Backing up movies can leave lots of fragmented files on your HD.

5. michigan

michigan Guest

Go with Neph and zippyd that sounds like the problem to me also

6. michigan

michigan Guest

BBBump
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]emachines T1862, 1.8mhz, 762 ram, 60gig hdd, 10gig hdd, lite-on multiformat dvd, 1394 IEEE
    [​IMG][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2004
  7. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Hi all. :)

I think the problem is actually with "Hidalgo".
    It is one of the titles supposed to have a new copy protection: some messed-up cells.
    Other titles on the list so far: "Gothika", "Taking Lives".

The latest DVD Decrypter is supposed to be able to rip them, but LIGHTNINGUK (its developer) doubt transcoders will be able to handle the ripped files.
    Worth a try I guess. ;)

8. zippyd

zippyd Regular member

I don't know about that. I did Hidalgo with shrink and it plays fine and it didn't take that long. Although I was a bonehead and took out the subtitles and it seems a third of the movie is arabic.

9. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

It might be Region related, zippyd.

Paladin36, what Region is your "Hidalgo"?

10. michigan

michigan Guest

I did Hidalgo region 1 with Shrink and had not one problem it went flawlessly.

11. cuminstd

cuminstd Member

I also used DVDDecrypt to decode Hidalgo, and then used DVDShrink to compress and burned the final in Nero, no problems.

12. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

cuminstd, what region was your DVD of "Hidalgo"?

13. Paladin36

Paladin36 Member

Thank you all for you help and advice, but I relized my problem. I only had 20GB left on the drive, when I changed the target folder to a new drive, time to shrink the DVD was less then 2 hours.

Thanks again.

14. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Glad you found the culprit, Paladin36. :)

You mentionning "Hidalgo" threw me off.
    When someone experiences a lengthening in DVD Shrink processing time, I normally recommend to defragment the hard-drive(s) (amongst other things). ;)

15. hanksolo

hanksolo Member

Hi all. Have any of you watched the movie (Hidalgo) after you ripped it? The creation of the backup works fine using DVDXCOPY or Shrink, but when you play it, it hangs my DVD drive and also my DVD player halfway through the movie. It seems to happen around chapter 11. Up to that chapter, the movie plays flawlessly. I've tried several times with the same problem. I have to eject the DVD from my drive in order to stop the hang, or turn the power off on the DVD player connected to my TV and immediately eject it when I power it back on. Never saw this happen before.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2004