1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time Machine saved my Butt!

Discussion in 'Mac - General discussion' started by Domreis, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

So last week the HDD on my MacBook Pro died. All I did was made 1 short call to apple and within 10 minutes they had a new HDD dispatched to my house. I received the Hard Drive the next day! (I am a Pro Care Member because I have 4 macs so I get standard overnight shipping on parts)

I installed the Hard Drive, inserted the leopard install disk into the computer, then plugged in my USB Hard Drive, and Leopard automatically recognized a time machine back up and asked me if I wanted to restore my computer from the last backup and I clicked yes. I then walked away and 1 hour later came back and my computer was back to normal. I didn't have to go throughout the trouble of installing software or anything.

I was so happy. That was just incredible because I remember back in the day when I was PC user, who was very unlucky, who happened to receive the BSOD about once every 6th month, how inconvienet it was to reinstall windows and all of my software and manually load my Documents from my backups to the right location.

I am very satisfied with all of my Macs.. and I know I will be a Mac user for life now.

Thanks Apple
    Domreis

2. gozilla

gozilla Regular member

that's pretty nifty, it's like Ghost on steroids. one of the most annoying aspects of reinstalling an OS isn't the installation, it's the installation of drivers and software which is a real pain (and time consuming).

3. vinny13

vinny13 Guest

Ya I've just bought a 1TB external HDD and I'm deciding wether or not to use it for Time Machine as well as larger downloads... How much space does Time Machine use? Is it like a hidden trash can that never gets emptied?

4. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

time mzchne I just a complete backup of your primary hdd... If you have a 150gn
    b haxd timemachine will use about 250gb assuming your primary hard drive is full. It will also keep files that you slate off your primary dive untill it is full or ou decide to delete that file. Ifyou use r for time machine you can still use the same hard drive for other files. Sorry if hi us Brel but I am on my iPhone