1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

time takes to transcode a dvd

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by yorkmint, Jul 2, 2005.

1. yorkmint

yorkmint Member

hi, i'm using nero visionexpress 3 to transcode a avi (30mins) and divx movie (30 minutes) to a dvd-5 and it takes about 2 hours. a really long time.

if I do a avi (30min) and divx (200mins) it takes over 5 hours just to transcode into nrg (using long play) for DVD 5.

i find this really slow. what do you guys use to transcode? is it my computer?

i'm using mobile amd xp 2400+, 1.79 ghz, 448 of Ram

what are you guys using, and your speeds?

2. matt72

matt72 Regular member

hi yorkmint

with 448mb of ram that time of encoding is about right. the xp operating system roughly uses about 128mb leaving about 320mb of ram. Take into consideration other miscellaneous programs you got running in the background and you could be left with a little under 200mb of ram. nero itself is sort of heavy on the system resources at any rate. I would suggest upgrading your ram by adding at least another 512mb. Would speed you up but once again you will not get the 30 min to encode a 30 min avi. Encoding in a nutshell is a somewhat tedious process as converting to dvd compliant files has to do with bitrate, frames per second, audio synching, etc. I myself takes just under 2 hours with a 789mb avi file or a divx movie of the same size about an hour n a half. I also disconnect from the internet, antivirus and firewall as they are known to interfere when using nero. I also don't multi-task when using nero. Hope that lil explanation helps you a little bit. I'm sure someone who is more experieced will come along and explain further in depth.

3. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Try VSO DivxToDVD (free program). Takes about 1 hour to convert a 2-hr. avi to dvd compliant format.
    Good luck!

4. furydog

furydog Member

It might be your computer because I have done larger projects in nero vision express, and have completed them in around 30min.

I use a p4 3.7 and 4gigs of pc5400

5. wrf01a

wrf01a Member

I also think it is your computer. I have a Dell Dimension with a 3.4GHz processor and 1Gig of RAM and I have done some really large projects in less than 30-35 minutes

6. yorkmint

yorkmint Member

thanks. that's what i was guessing, the only thing i can upgrade is the ram. i don't know if i can upgrade the video card, or does that even matter?

i guess that's the problem with laptops

7. wallen69

wallen69 Member

Well with Nero VisonExpress I find it takes 2.5-3hrs to produce the finished DVD from a 45 minutes long Type 1 DV file. A lot quicker if you have captured the video using the create DVD-video option. Unfortunately the quality is useless when you do that! When I have tried that the resultant DVD video plays very jerkily on the TV!