1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time to backup DVDs using Shrink and Nero Express 6

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by nater11, Feb 4, 2005.

1. nater11

nater11 Member

Hello all, i am wondering why my friend's PC can burn a DVD-R disc with Nero Express 6 in about 10 minutes, while i am using the same DVD drive, same software, and same methods but mine takes nearly 2 hours!!
    We even have about the same machines, in fact mine is a newer Dell than his is!!!

What gives? is it something with slave/master setting on IDE2? is it the speed of his hard drive?

Even when he copys his DVD to the C: drive with Shrink 3.2, it only takes his about 30 minutes while mine takes about 3 times that long.

thanks all, appreciate the feedback!!!

nater

2. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Most commen problem with slow times is your DVD drive fell into PIO mode. To check if it has go to your device manager and click on the IDE controlers then click properties on all IDE channels and make sure they are in DMA mode not PIO mode. If they are in PIO change it to DMA mode. If you have problems doing this then uninstall the CD drive and reinstall it. Uasly fixes the problem. If they are running in DMA mode then defrag your hard drive, scan for virurses and spywear. Just a few things to check.

3. rdjt

rdjt Guest

It also depends what options you chose, like quality settings, compression and so on. I haven't had good luck with shrink, the quality is not really DVD-worthy. I am trying DVD rebuilder with QuEnc, but I only get to a certain stage and it stops. I guess CCE is a good encoder, but the demo version displays a logo so I have to settle for a free encoder. Check out my posting. Oh it does encode some of the movie and it is really good quality, but it takes a long time.

4. larrylje

larrylje Active member

@rdjt

I have used Shrink for years and have had no problem with it. Do you use good quility blank DVDs? burn at a slow speed no more then 4x and you should also do a deep aniliyse if its a bigger movie. I havent had bad quility back ups at all with Shrink, most people that I know that use shrink dosent either. Also if you have Nero 6 try using Recode2 I use that now since suposidly the guy that made Shrink works for Nero now and is the author of Recode2. I use Recode2 now and make perfect backups. Just a few sugestions for you to get better quility DVDs.

5. nater11

nater11 Member

yeah i figured it out, it was nothing about any of the above posts. i just had my DVD burner on the slave for IDE2, i just made it a single DVD drive (cable select jumper) on IDE2, now i can do an entire file burn in 5-8 minutes. time to transfer now with DVD Shrink 3.2 is about 15-25 minutes.

copy an entire DVD in about a half hour, rather that 3-4 hours... awesome!

6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Your dvd burner should always go on the 2nd IDE cable as Master for better data transfer.

Jerry

Last edited: Feb 5, 2005
  7. rdjt

rdjt Guest

@ larry
    Thanks larry I actually have only once (succesfully I might add) tried to back up a movie with shrink. I did do the ripping deep analysis and the whole nine yards with it. Took about 1.5 hours with shrink. I don't know what it was but the quality was not that great; I noticed at certain moments of the film that the frames were a bit choppy. I even tried the smooth option, but it didn't make a difference. I didn't even burn the movie onto a DVD, I was just playing it out of my hard drive. The compression ratio was at about 60% with some of the feaures preserved. Maybe I can give it another shot, but I doubt it will give me more satisfactory results. Right now I am just trying different transcoders to see which one is the best. As I mentioned I can transcode partially with DVD-RB with QuEnc but it just crashes at the final stage. I can see the begining however and I thought it was a huge difference from shrink. It's just my opinion. Only if I can make it finish the job. We'll see. I'll try nero next. Thanks anyway.

8. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

i got my drives:

Primary Master = Pioneer 106
    Primary Slave = LITEON 52/24/52
    Secondary Master = Samsung CD/DVD rom
    Secondary Slave = 160g HD backup

SATA HD 160g HD \
    --------------------< MIRROR RAID1
    SATA HD 160g HD /

20/25 mins rip
    20/25 mins shrink
    14 mins burn

9. nater11

nater11 Member

20/25 mins rip? why do you need to rip them if you are just backing up? what is ripping?

my entire backup process for one movie is 25-45 minutes from start to finish.

10. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

ripping (take out copy protection) so it can be re authored and shrink to fit dvd9

how do you get your ripp yours...?

11. larrylje

larrylje Active member

@nater11

Using a program to rip can save wear and tare on your drive.

Also ripping with DVD Decrypter puts the files onto your hard drive without the copy protection junk on it.

So if you come across a DVD that your Backup Program cant complete or you get errors then there could be a possiblity your running into encryption your program cant read. So if you rip the DVD with devrypter (newest version)to your hard drive. Decrypter takes out the encrypted copy protection so your backup program can actully make a backup of it.

Uasly it takes up to 1/2 hour to 1 1/2 hours to backup a dvd taking the information stright from the disk. Where if you rip the files to your hard drive, which uasly takes 15 to 20 minutes your recoding time during your disc backup goes faster cause its getting the information off the hard drive.

But in the long run when you get it all done time wise there isnt much diffrence.

But the diffrence is. If you get the infermation off the disc derectly its accessing your DVD drive poissbly up to an 1 and 1/2 to where if you rip it your drive is only running for up to 20 to 30 minutes.

Which gives you less ware on your DVD drive.

12. nater11

nater11 Member

thank you larry!

13. rdjt

rdjt Guest

Ok I tried shrink again today and some of the action scenes are too choppy when compared to the original. I have a decent speed computer and a nice video card so that isn't the problem. The problem is the compression algorithm of shrink. Do you guys actually look closely at the quality of the output? I am suprised I am the only one bringing this up.

14. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi there

when you rip and shrink for quite a while say 2 hours, your computer gets bogged down alot due to ram being filled and other things, which can cause choppy, stuttering etc...

try rebooting an play it for the choppyness, actual quailty on my pc useing powerdvd isnt brilliant even on an original, so i tend not to take that as gospel true.

when played on a standalone player its the business for me, but i have heard CCE etc deos pushout better quailty than shrink, but for me i am main movie only person, so theres not much compression involed and on the odd occasion its big like troy, go deep analysis...

so i suppose am happy with shrink...as its just one app for an easy life...

but fact is i get no choppy, pixelated areas or whatever.

but to be honest like you asked, i never look at the original and copy for the difference so there could be some!

let us know how you get on with CCE etc...

15. larrylje

larrylje Active member

@rdjt

I saw above you said compressen was at 60% thats pretty low compressen there. Im suprised you dont get a little pixlation and freezing. I never go below 70% compression and try to keep close to 75% but if it goes below 70% I try to get the compression of the movie up by doing this.

1st I see if there are 2 movies on the disc. Example Wide screen and Full screen. If there is 2 movies on the disc ill still picture the format I dont want. which will bring the compression up alot if you do this. Also somtimes there are 1 Title but 2 angles and somtimes you can still picture 1 of the Angels and bring the compression up.

If there isnt 2 movie files then I do these things.

I bring the compression of the menus and extras down as low as they can go and take out subpictures and audio streams I dont want. This will raise the compression of the movie.

If all else fails and the compression is still under 70% ill just bring in the movie and back up that without Menus and Extras.

16. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Edited double post

Last edited: Feb 8, 2005
  17. rdjt

rdjt Guest

So let me be more specific. I am trying to back up "house of flying daggers".
    My system:
    AMD 1500+ (i realize it's not that fast and it could be the bottleneck but...)
    512MB of RAM
    LITE ON DVD drive (one of the latest models but this is not the problem right now)
    Generic 7200 RPM Hard drive (also shouldn't be the problem right now)

I don't think there are two formats as when I go to the original no such option is available. When I open in shrink i only get one title under main menu with a compression of 67.5% (so I stand corrected). Menus comprise of 60MB and extras 50MB. I can compress them to minimum allowed, but I believe you need something like IfoEdit to get rid of them completely. I don't know how you find out whether you have two angles or not and how you would get rid of one angle. I suppose if shrink doesn't tell you this you don't have two angles. Am I right? I think the bottleneck could be the processor speed, and I have noticed during encoding the processor is at 100% load. Any suggestions?

18. larrylje

larrylje Active member

When there are diffrent angles there is 2 ways they can do it. They can have 2 sepret movie titles or they could have 2 angels of the movie but they are interleved togther. So if DVD shrink in full backup mode shows 1 title then more then likly it is the only main title. If you want you can still image Extras and previews to bring the compression up on the movie.

If you click the extra files go to compression you can pull down the menu and insert a still image which will still keep the entegrety of the DVD where you will have working menus still. But the extras will only have a still image when you go to them.

If your intertsed on just doing the movie without extras or menus you can then click re-author on DVDShrink and just pull in the movie title which then the backup would just have the movie on it.

19. marski13

marski13 Guest

Ok i am seein the fix to the problems but i have to add, I am having the same problem but I am using a external dvd burner(pioneer drv s806) does this make a difference It takes about 5hrs to burn a disc any help here?

20. rdjt

rdjt Guest

I reauthored and with only the main title present I get a 69.4% compression. You said that is kind of ok? Let's see how it goes