1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by ilisapeci, Aug 20, 2004.

1. ilisapeci

ilisapeci Member

How long does it normally take to burn the average dvd.

2. michigan

michigan Guest

There are a lot of factors involved - dual layer or single, system setup, writer speed, etc.

For an "average" system 1.8g, 4x writer, dual disc, movie only no extras, I do it in about an hour with deep analysis on 25-30 minutes without.

3. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

To just burn:
    (dvd-9's) ... for me at least :)
    2.4x ... around 20 min.
    4x ... around 15-16 min
    8x ... around 10-12 min

4. michigan

michigan Guest

For just burn times mine are about the same

5. forkndave

forkndave Member

My burn times are about the same except 6X is just over 10 minutes and 8X is just over 8 minutes.

6. zippyd

zippyd Regular member

It's kind of funny to note the difference in the responses. Some people think of "burning a movie" as just the process writing the video files onto blank media. Others think of it as the whole process of decrypting, encoding, analyzing, and then writing. I think that might be why some newbies don't understand why it takes so long to back up a movie. They get confused as to whose perspective of burning a movie is right.

7. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

@zippyd,

There is a difference between "backing up" a dvd and "burning" the dvd (IMO). But yes you are correct, I think that is what leads to alot of confusion. That's why I said at first "to just burn".

For those newbies who come across this, be more specific on what you are trying to do. It helps the other members. :)

8. forkndave

forkndave Member

The times I listed are burn times. To back up a 7.5-8GB movie with DVD Shrink V3.2 using deep analysis takes my system about 2 hours. A single layer movie usually takes 30 minutes or less, sometimes 15 or 20 minutes. Most dual layer movies take my system 30-45 minutes depending on whether I use deep analysis or not. Movie only is quicker. Your times can vary quite a bit from these depending on your system.

9. zippyd

zippyd Regular member

Trust me I do know the difference in the terms. I actually spent 3-4 weeks reading threads here at AD before I ever tried to burn. And I successfully backed up almost a dozen vids before ever posting... unlike some of the more impatient newbies here. Basically my point was that there are some variances in definition and maybe we should set a standard meaning and add it to the glossary

10. michigan

michigan Guest

I think the diffs are pretty clear
    burning is just that burning (the process of writing to the disc)
    backing up is the whole process (ripping, encoding, and burning)
    most of the time it is worded in the proper manner to get the help that is needed and when its not it doesn't take long to figure out what is meant. We were trying to "cover all the bases" on this one hence the differnet responses.

11. zippyd

zippyd Regular member

i think the differences are clear as well but there are alot of newbs who don't seem to. that's why i made my suggestion. but you are right in the fact that it all comes out in the end anyway. so i guess it wouldn't matter