1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips For Burning With a Low End Computer

Discussion in 'PS2' started by alphonse5, Jan 12, 2004.

1. alphonse5

alphonse5 Member

Ok... I have an older computer (P3, 500). I got a flip top for my ps2 and it works fine on CDR backups. However, when I try to make a DVD backup I always get the red border for a bad disc. I am assuming my computer just cant handle burning DVDs that well. I have a pioneer 106 and I am using Memorex 4x DVD-R media. I try to copy an image to my hard drive using Alcohol 120 and then burning it at 1x. I have burnt 5 coasters now and I am getting pretty frustrated. I have tried Nero, Alcohol, RecordNow, and Decrypter. If anyone has any experience burning games with slower computers I would love to know what you did. I know I should buy a new computer but I cant afford that right now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am going nuts over here. Thanks

2. Xian

Xian Regular member

I would try a different brand of media. I have read of some others having trouble with Memorex blanks. I would try Verbatim or Ritek. I normally use Ritek, but have used Verbatim when I ran out of blanks since I can't find the Riteks locally.

I don't think the age or speed of your computer is the problem as long as they are completing the burn. If it was the speed you would be getting buffer underruns and the burn would not complete. I have burnt DVDs on a K6-3 450mhz and even burnt CDs on a 486/33 when I got my first burner back in 1994.

3. alphonse5

alphonse5 Member

Well I ordered some Ritek DVDs a while ago and I am waiting on them to arrive. Hopefully that will solve the problem. I looked locally for Verbatim DVDs because I heard they were pretty good too. I couldnt find any though so I guess I will just have to wait. Also lately my ps2 has taken a very long time to load games. I am concerned maybe it is a problem with the ps2 itself... The laser or something. If original games load slowly could that mean a backup might not load at all? Are they more difficult for the ps2 to read? Hope you can help me out. Thanks

4. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

i use memorex 4x dvd-r and they work perfectly. i also have the same speed computer with a pioneer 105. Have you tried copying different games, or just the same one over and over? Also about the slow loading, take a q-tip with some rubbing alcohol and clean you laser.

5. alphonse5

alphonse5 Member

Well you were right. All I had to do was take some alcohol and clean the laser lens. Now all the games that I thought were coasters are working. Thanks for you help