1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tired or making coasters! RecordNow DX problem

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Pesto67, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Pesto67

Pesto67 Member

Hi
    I am having an unusual dvd-r burning problem I hope a dvd genius can help me with?

I AM ABLE to burn backups of my dvd's onto DVD-RW, but NOT on DVD-R media using RecordNow DX.
    DVD-R disk after burn does not play in computer or stand alone dvd player, where the same image burned onto DVD-RW works fine.
    The burned DVD-R quite often locks up or shows empty.
    The strangest part is before this problem started I did burn three DVD-R's in a row with no problem using RecordNow. To the best of my knowledge I have not changed anything.

Here are the details of my problem;

-computer running Win XP with recent hd format this week
    -using DVD Shrink to create image
    -DVD drive is Lite-On LDW-401S (drivers up to date, new firmware available but manufacturer suggests using only if having problems, and I really doubt this is a firmware problem. I may try this as last resort)
    -using Memorex 4X DVD-R media
    -I have also tried the Nero demo software, but same problem. Nero uninstalled and system rollback to avoid conflicts.
    -Using RecordNow options setup by default (quick summary - mulitsession: load last track, recording type TAO (not closed), file system: UDF with Joliet)
    -while burning no other applications running and have tried different record speeds
    -DMA is enabled
    -ASPI installed

The really unusual part is DVD X COPY Standard Edition and DVD Decrypter work fine. Both make working copies on DVD-R media, but neither work with DVD Shrink so I can reauthor.

I think one of these three issues might be causing the problem;
    1) The DVD burner itself. This is unlikely as RecordNow RW's and DVD X Copy R's work. (and DVD Decrypter R's works also)
    2) The DVD media. Again probably not as it did work three times in a row, and DVD X Copy works with same media.
    3) Software issue with Record Now. Seems to me most likely I don't have software configured correctly or something is not set up right.

Thanks in advance, Lawrence.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

With Record Now and DVD-R have you tried:

Tools>Options>DVD and selected "I only need to use disc for one recording"

If not your disc won't finalize and therefore won't be playable.

You also need TAO (closed) for it to finalize as well.

3. Pesto67

Pesto67 Member

Nephilim.... YOU ROCK!

I don't know exactly what I changed but...sucess!!!

Since my last fail, I have 1)installed ASPI (weird install under xp to get it right) and 2)made the option changes you suggested. The DVD option was already correct but TAO was open not closed. I thought I had tried TAO closed already but I guess not...

YOU'RE THE BEST

You've made my day, week, month...no more pulling my hair out!!!

Much appreciation, Lawrence :) :] :D

4. Nephilim

Thanks for the thanks, happy to help :) At least you have hair to pull out, I don't have that option when I'm frustrated - I'm bald.

If a DVD video isn't finalized it won't be recognized as a standard DVD video so the finalizing is essential.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Gigabyte 8INXP, Intel P4HT 3.06
    Mushkin 1024 MB PC2100
    Sapphire 9800 Pro
    Plextor PX-708A/Plextor Premium/LTD-166S
    M-Audio Revolution 7.1
    Browning Hi-Power[/small]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2004
  5. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Pesto67

Under window XP, there is a fundamental problem with Recordnow DX......

It does not remember settings, only remembers the burner.......

So each time you use it you will have to manually go into options on the data burn window and select under dvd TAO closed......

If it is TAO not closed, you will create a multisession, a few number of standalones can read them but the setting should always be TAO closed.

You should also have 'New Volume' selected in the multisession window instead of load last track.

You can make this a default by going into:
    Press F3 (takes you into the options in tools).
    Click on data disc
    Tick 'Use New volume etc'

The program will retain these 'tools' settings but not the data options......

Anyways, seems like Nephilim has helped you on your way.....good luck....

(I had a full head of hair before dvd's, now I have to use the cat to pull fur out)

6. Nephilim

That's got be a odd looking cat!

Any word if they're going to fix the setting issue? It's a bit of a pain especially if you're as forgetful as I am.

7. baabaa

baabaa Active member

LOL....
    [​IMG]

That was the result of using Nero.......LMAO.....

Sorry Nero users...couldn't resist.....and the RSPCA (not mine)

Actually that is not my cat (thankfully), my little mate.......

I have posted that problem with the writers.....I think there should be an answer to it soon, as they have had alot of queries regarding the same thing......

I shall keep you posted of the outcome, however I would believe that it will mean an upgrade rather than a fix......

I use 4.5 Veritas, I do not know whether this problem is evident on the Sonic version 4.6 and above......

One other thing aswell, My Dx 4.5 (and possibly Recordnowmax 4.5) does not seem to check files (when using exact copy method) even though the option is selected...on my XP anyway.....however there hasn't been any problems due to this....

Anyways, it keeps us on our toes....if we can remember the settings then we still have our marbles.......for now that is.......
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Beware of the Pixies - they move in over night and turn your life upside down

[​IMG] [​IMG] [/small]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2004
  8. Nephilim

Please do keep us posted. My trial for the Veritas RecordNow Max is up in a few days and I'm going to purchase. They better not charge me an upgrade right after I buy it!

9. cheezzzz

cheezzzz Regular member

baabaa:
    I use Sonic RecordNow! Deluxe and when I make a backup of a movie, the TAO is set at open. And it still plays in any standalone player and my pc.

cheezzzz