1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TMPG DVD AUTHOR menu

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by GreenD, Oct 26, 2003.

1. GreenD

GreenD Member

Hi all.
    Iv have by trial and error learned how to use TMPGEnc and NERO DVD UDF mode to encode and burn...
    ...and am now using TMPG DVD AUTHOR in am atempt to make a DVD that i can play on my standalone DVD-player, from various files (avi,mpeg,wmn....)....all loking bright....BUT one ? :

when i make the menu in TMPG DVD AUTHOR and encode it, and then play the .VOB files in POWERDVD, then POWERDVD skips the menu and chapters ?? why ?
    ..it just shows all the menus and then plays the first movie and when i try to go forward to the next chapter, then it skips forward to the next movie instead, like there were no chapters....but i DID make chapters with TMPG DVD AUTHOR !!

This is wierd, and i dare not burn the .VOB files to DVD if they are not working proberbly ?!?

Can anybody give me some advice ?

Regards
    GreenD

Last edited: Oct 26, 2003
  2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Hi, when putting two discs onto one DVD R, you need to make sure they aren't both added in the same menu system. This means that you need to click Add New Track in the left-hand window, whenver the first one is done. By doing this the movies will be seperate and you will be able to create a menu that allows you to select which movie you want (ie: Movie 1, Movie 2 in the menu) and to play that movie.

For creating chapters and/or editing parts of the movie, simply go to the Chapter Cut/Edit part of TMPGEnc DVD Author and set the first frame as start frame. From there, you can go along each part and select 'add current frame to chapter'. Once all the cahpters you want have been out in, select the last frame as 'End Frame'. Did you use the Add/Delet buttons below the stream of frames?

3. GreenD

GreenD Member

i did that, but the same thing happened in POWERDVD, but when i burned the .VOB files and played the DVD on my standalone it worked fine !?
    Wierd, but it works now !

another funny thing, when i rip DVD with dvdshrink and play .VOB files with POWERDVD i get no text, but when i burn it on a DVD-R it works fine....go figure ?

Anyway, problem solved !

Thx Oriphus :eek:)

4. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi all

Sounds very familar to this what i had! ok, i put 2 films on dvdr and with a menu to choose which i want to watch from the menu! ok all god till i played it it skipped thourgh the menu? i thought uh!?!

then i saw this! what a berk i was!

[​IMG]

then i changed it from play all tracks to "DISPLAY MAIN MENU" then all was fine

oh by the way my first menu and 2 film on one disc! nice!

thx. all...._X_X_X_X_X_[small]XP 1700 TBred [o/c 2004mhz = 12X167/33 = FSB-334mhz]
    A7V8X SATA150/RAID 2x80 gig [Bios 1012]
    HERCULES 3D PROPHET [9700 Pro]
    XMS Corsair Platinum pc3500 2x512 1024 meg
    ENERMAX PSU 550watts
    [​IMG] [/small]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2003
  5. GreenD

GreenD Member

....mine was on DISPLAY MAIN MENU as default !
    but you are right, that could be a problem too !

6. Yuriv

Yuriv Regular member

I would recommend you try burning to a DVD-RW and play it on your standalone as a test.

I have noticed that when you use PowerDVD in file mode to open VOB files that are stored on your hard drive, the chapter points don't work. This does not mean that they are not there. I think that the chapter info is stored in the IFO file rather than in the individual VOB files - if you open the VOB directly via PowerDVD's file mode, it has nothing pointing it to the chapter points.

However, your standalone will check with the IFO file when you try to skip to the next chapter...so it should work fine.

7. koola

koola Guest

Yuriv is correct, you can test to see if the chapter points work by making an ISO, then loading it into Nero's Image Drive or Demon tools to play via PowerDVD. This should simulate the completed DVD in your DVD Rom drive.

If they work on this virtual drive, it should work on a burned DVD!

8. GreenD

GreenD Member

thx for the info guys, it seems that you are right ! :eek:)

You have been very helpful !

Regards
    GreenD. :eek:)

9. koola

koola Guest

No Probs, happy to help :D