1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TMPG Encoding -multi threaded rates

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by eventual, Sep 14, 2004.

1. eventual

eventual Guest

TMPGEnc has a wonderful little feature under then environments tab, cpu, that lets you switch on multi-treading.

Originally multi-threading meant splitting a process between multiple processors. It required a special way of programming too.

Thankfully it's employed here. When I enabled that I received better than 2:1 ratios. Meaning, I fully encoded the audio and video streams simultaneously, and it only took 2:38 to transcode 1:34 of video. (duration + 64%=transcode)

So lets stop calling the TMPGEncoder crappy on that account. Matter of fact, there are more options for compression here than I have on my hardware encoder. So, it's an A+ in my book. What 'is' crappy are single processor computers that run with less than 512K RAM, on a non-intel chipsets. In all my tests, they're sleds by comparison. No matter how you over clock them...and "hyper-threading" is a complete waste, even on a 2 proc system. (I used (2) 2.8Ghz Xeons for a total of 5.6Ghz)

2. glenpinn

glenpinn Guest

is my pc crappy then ???

asus a7n8x-e del
    amd 3200 cpu
    512 corsair xms3200c2 ram
    saphire x800 XT platinum edition

i bet u used to run a single processor pc once upon a time, so unless im reading u wrong m8, go easy on the quote
    "What 'is' crappy are single processor computers that run with less than 512K RAM"
    dont see any point to it myself ??? ....GLEN

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2004
  3. eventual

eventual Guest

?

I build computers for people, so I get to test them for a week before they go...

The strength is in the backbone.