1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TMPG - Read error occurred at address...

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by Induna, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Induna

Induna Member

Whenever I try to encode a film I get this message, "read error occurred at address" ect...

Now, I have all the relevent codecs installed, Direct Show is set to highest priority in the VFAPI plugin-in options. Plenty free space on the hard drive. It just happens at random? It could be two minutes, or 15 minutes.

It's set up on a clean install too, WinXP Pro SP1. It works fine on my other PC which has exactly the same set up. It doesn't make sense.

Has anyone come accross this error before?

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

When I worked for Tmpgenc Tech support this error would Come up quite often and it usually was with XviD encoded AVI files....
    If this is a XviD file then Try Installing the FFDshow Decoder and configure it to Decode XviD files....

You might also try Frameserveing the File to tmpgenc useing Virtual-Dub...
    You should also make sure that the Audio in the AVI file has been decompressed as tmpgenc doesn"t like Compressed audio formats in it"s source files...

If you don"t know how to Frameserve with Virtual-Dub or how to decompress the audio then let me know and I leave you simple Instructions....

Cheers

3. Induna

Induna Member

Yes you are correct, it is with XviD files.

The audio has been decompressed. I usually convert the AC3 stream to WAV with GoldWave.

I've downloaded FFDShow. If you can tell me how to configure it for XviD. Thanks.

I have Virtual Dub Mob but I've never used it for Frameserving. If you can tell me how to use that too.

Thanks for your reply.

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

In FFDShow you Just go into the Configuration settings under "Codecs" and Make sure "XviD" is Enabled....

Frameserveing is a Good way to encode files in Tmpgenc which tmpgenc doesn"t like....

First download this version of V-Dub...

http://fcchandler.home.comcast.net/stable/VirtualDub-MPEG2.zip

#1)Go into the V-Dub folder and Run the "AuxSetup.exe" file, Then click "Install Handler" and then Click OK" and then close the AuxSetup.exe file....(You only ever have to do this once)

#2) Run V-Dub and Load your AVI file into it..

#3) Go to "file" to "Start Frameserver" then click "Start" and then give the Frameserver file a Name but with a .vdr extention so something like "Movie-01.vdr" and then save the File...

#4) Now run tmpgenc and Load the "Movie-01.vdr" file in as the Source File and encode Like normal...

If you get a "Can Not Open or Unsupported" message in tmpgenc then go to "options" to Enviromental Settings" to "Vfapi Plugins" and Disable the "Direct Show File Reader" and then Raise the Priority of the "AVI VFW Combatibility Reader" to the Top of the List and then the .vdr file should load no problem....

Good Luck

5. Induna

Induna Member

Thanks for your help. I'll give it a try.