1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TMPG says cannot open unsopported AVI

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by k0k0m0, Mar 7, 2005.

1. k0k0m0

k0k0m0 Regular member

I'm having a problem (another one apart from this one http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/165487/866818-311128 )trying to convert my former DivX onto AVI's for later burning them to DVD-Video.

I've got this AVI when I'm on TMPG got the problem stated on the title. I run the wizard and at step 2 I get this message.

I've been to VirtualDub and tried to re-process the AVI but I still get the same error with the new file as well.

Any idea what to do?

2. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

3. k0k0m0

k0k0m0 Regular member

Thnx again Jim!

4. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Your welcome,you might want to bookmark that page,I did quite awhile ago.

5. k0k0m0

k0k0m0 Regular member

I've corrected the problem as indicated here
    The only thing that worries me is that it said it was gonna take 46 hours to process just 1:30 hs of movie!?!?!?! Can it be that it takes so long?

6. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

No way,geez I thought mine was slow, usually averaging about 2 hours for every hour of movie length.
    Im not sure what would cause this.
    Have you defragged, and rebooted, and removed all spyware lately?
    What are your computer specs?
    There is a free, and much faster program, available, vso divxtodvd,if youd like to try something else.

download: http://www.vso-software.fr/download.htm
    guide:http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/vso_divxtodvd_guide.cfm

7. k0k0m0

k0k0m0 Regular member

Jim, I was about to post a question about it again, gee.

I was testing TMPGEncoder to see how it works. When I load the wizard now, in step 4 I go to "Other settings" and select Motion search precision to "Highest quality, very slow", since I was told it was gonna improve the quality of the movie.

After the movie was done I was gonna use IFOEdit to author the video and create some menus and add the subtitles.

Questions:

1) Will not selecting Highest quality and leaving standard settings make a huge difference in quality?
    2) Can I use VSODivxtoDVD to create MPG-2 movies, afterwards use TMPG DVD Author to create menus and finally use IFOEdit to add subtitles? Is it possible to combine several tools?

Thanks!

BTW: I have just formatted my PC with Win XP SP2 with an Intel 1.5 Ghz CPU and Giga RAM. No spyware or viruses.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2005
  8. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

1.I read where there is not that much of a difference, between high quality slow, and highest quality slowest,to warrant the extra time that it takes.(I doubt if that would make a 40 hour difference tho)

2.yes divxtodvd converts your avi's to vob files,and all tho Ive never tried it that way,you should be able to load the vobs created by divxtodvd,In dvd author.

3.I dont have much use for subtitles, so I couldnt tell you if ifo edit will do the job or not.

Sorry I couldnt help you with all your questions

9. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

If the source file is not 720x480.
    If tmpegnc is set 2 pass VBR mode.
    If tmpgenc is set HIGH bitrate (7000+).
    If motion search precision is set Highest Quality.
    You now have a 40 hour encoding session.

10. k0k0m0

k0k0m0 Regular member

The source was three hundred and something...
    &
    TMPGEncoder was set 2 pass VBR mode & 9000 bit rate
    &
    Motion search was set to Highest quality

INDEED!!!

Thanks for all the asistance guys!!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2005
  11. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Because source is different than destination, the encoder must resize.
    Because 2 pass VBR makes one pass just to "read" the file. The second pass does the encoding. Double the time needed.
    Because 9000kbps is extremely high, and not needed. Some players won't even play a disk with that high bitrate. 8000 is usually max, with maybe the odd peak above that, but even then...
    Motion search estimate set that high easily will easily triple the time again.
    Because you are on a 1.5ghz system, and probably only one hard drive, the encoder must wait for the drive to become available to read from, and write to, if you're doing anything else on the computer at all.
    I would suggest if you're serious about encoding video, you spend some money.
    First, get the fastest CPU you can afford. Get a new motherboard to support it if needed.
    Second, change encoders. Tmpgenc is only one of MANY.
    Canopus Procoder Express is only $59 and is easily 5 times faster.
    Mainconcept is $99 and is about 5 x faster.
    CCE basic is about $99 and it's also at least 5x faster.
    Each encoder has it's benefits. Canopus is extremely good at smoothing video, and doing PAL<->NTSC conversions.
    Mainconcept is extremely good quality at 1 pass in most cases. It also does nice filtering of poor sources.
    CCE is the ultimate. With Avisynth, you can do anything, but it's a very steep learning curve (like learning a new programming language).
    There are at least 20 other encoders, but most are poor and slow compared to the 3 above.

12. k0k0m0

k0k0m0 Regular member

Thank you so much. I'm just a rookie trying to back up his old time DivX's to DVD... nothing serious though...

But thanks again you all guys for the tips...