1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tmpg will not support avi video file....

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by weekendwa, May 11, 2004.

1. weekendwa

weekendwa Member

I tried to encode my avi movie file to mpg and the audio will fine but when i add the video to encode it says it is unsupported??? I burned it to disc and it plays fine but black screen????

thanks

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

go to "Options" to "Enviromental settings" to "vfapi Plugins" and Raise the priority of the "Direct Show Multi-Media File Reader" to "2"...This should get your AVI file loaded Properly...Cheers

3. weekendwa

weekendwa Member

it is still saying unsupported or unable to open. it will open under the browse for audio just fine, but not for video.

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Are you sure you can the Correct codec installed to watch this AVI file??? What type of AVI file is it?? Have you tried Frameserveing the file to Tmpgenc useing Virtual-Dub..??

5. weekendwa

weekendwa Member

i cannot watch it on my computer, it is a video clip .avi thats all i know. where do i get the correct codec??? and no i have not tried that.

6. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

7. Minion

Minion Senior member

If you can"t watch the file on your PC what makes you think that tmpgenc can decode the file??? For every Movies file in AVI format there was a codec used to create the File and you MUST have that codec installed on your System before you can watch the file or decode it...If you download a Little tool called "Gspot" it should tell you what type of file it is and what codec you need to install to decode the File...If you install FFDShow Decoder it will probably decode the file because it can decode most AVI formats.....Cheers

8. weekendwa

weekendwa Member

what made me think that i could burn it and watch it on disc when i cant watch it on pc is because I send avi's to my xbox and watch them all of time when my computer doesnt show video. I dont know much about this stuff, a little ignorant , but thanks for all of help.(hard at work)