1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TMPGE Movie Duration is WRONG

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Melb_Chik, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Melb_Chik

Melb_Chik Member

I cant fit a simple XVid onto a DVD-R because TMPGenc thinks that my XVid movie (Starsky & Hutch) is
    298 minutes (5 fricken hours long!)
    It is really 100 minutes (1:40)

I have included a link to my screenshot (because i dont know how to post pictures) - http://www.users.on.net/~mazda/new_page_1.htm

Thanks for your time,
    Kelly

2. DoomsD

DoomsD Guest

I have exactly the same problem with exactly the same film and a few others that Ive tried. I would like a an answer as well if anyone has one.

3. egglick

egglick Member

I have this problem as well. I'm trying to encode a 96min XVID movie, and TMPGenc tells me it's over 200 minutes long.

This is my first attempt at converting XVID to DVD, so I figured it was my own fault, but I guess not.

Wish someone could help.

4. egglick

egglick Member

5. debs182

debs182 Member

Tempeg does alot of that, if it's an xvid file, i just convert it to an mpeg2 file using canopus procoder, which does take a long time, then i send the mpeg file to tempeg, create menu, output etc. The file will still be too big to burn straight to a disc, so i use dvd shrink to create an audio video ts folder, then open it again with tempeg and burn. unfortunatley it is a long and painful process.

6. Navig8r

Navig8r Regular member

The best thing i have found for this situation is....
    forget TMPGEnc, I gave up on it, I have been using WinAvi to convert these files to either mpeg2 or to DVD compliant files, (2 clicks that simple) no problems been using it about 3 months now. The only bad thing is there is a cost for it. I found for me it was well worth the cost, due to My Migrains from tryin to convert these xvids are now gone :) happy days my freind happy days. Anyway your call, but it does same alot of time and frustration

7. DoomsD

DoomsD Guest

I found a program called DVD santa that seem to work very well. A couple of clicks and it will make files you can burn straight onto a blank DVD. There is a small cost though :(

8. Jetster

Jetster Regular member

For some reason it puts a bunch of blank video at the end.
    This also happened to me. I just used TMPGEnc DVD author
    and cut the movie. Then it worked fine

9. FIXIT

FIXIT Regular member

sounds to me like the xvid was encoded with variable bitrate audio which tmpgenc cant handle, this causes the audio to be incorrectly encoded and usually stretches it out so you get the movie running for the correct run time and the sound stretched anywhere up to a couple of hours, theres an easy fix if you feel you must use tmpgenc to encode the video, you need to decompress the sound in the avi file to an uncompressed wav file.
    Virtualdub can do this, its the same process used for audio synch problems as shown in part 8 of dela's tmpgenc common problems post.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/40101