1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TMPGenc avi to mpeg 2 files wont play

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by bdayberr, Dec 29, 2003.

1. bdayberr

bdayberr Member

I just got TMPGenc and I use one type of avi and I abort encoding after a few minutes of video done to preview the output files. When I choose mpg as the output file it somwhat plays, the video is really fast and the sound is there but misaligned and the file wont read after a certain time even though the file length is longer. When I choose m2v and mp2 files output the mp2 files shows a file length but is blank audio. The m2v file won't even play. When I use a self ripped avi done with xmpeg(straight from dvd to avi) I get the same problem except nothing will read or show video, the mpg wont show file length and the mp2 will still read as nothing. I have tried almost every other AVI to Mpeg-2 encoder out there, some of them crash when I try to encode or even crash upon choosing settings. I am doing this because I would like to burn these movies to DVD, if anyone can help me fix this it would be much appriciated. Also if you know of another Mpeg 2 encoder I can try please respond. I have a feeling it has something to do with my codecs, but I'm not sure.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

OK..If you abort an encode and Try to play the M2v file with Media Player it will not Play properly because the Time code and header and sequecne end code has not been written yet, tmpgenc does this after it has encoded all of the Frames..As for there Not being any Audio in the Audio files that is Probably due to the fact that the audio in the source AVI file is on a Format that is not supported By Tmpgenc to you would have to extract the audio from the avi file to Wav format with Virtual-Dub or use a Simple tool called "Decompress.exe to convert the avi with Compressed audio to an avi with Uncompressed audio and then Tmpgenc will encode the audio properly....If you encode a Mpeg file and all you get a Black video then you can probable fix this By going to "options" to "Enviromental settings" to "vfapi Plugins" and Raise the "Direct Show File Reader" to "2" and not you should have Video in the Mpeg file..You should also use a Software DVD Player Like PowerDVD or WinDVD to Preview your Mpeg2 files because Media Player sucks with Mpeg2 files..As for other encoders there are Very few that are any good, The only ones I would personally recomend are "tmpgenc" which you have and "MainConcept encoder" which will produce simular Quality Files and in less than Half the Time ,The next is "Canopus Procoder" which is an awesome encoder and supports Many Formats and does Proper NTSC/Pal conversions which other encoder can not do properly, it isn"t very Fast but the Quality is really good ,And the Last encoder I would recomend is Only really good for Mpeg2 files is called "CinemaCraft Encoder SP 2.67" or as it is sometimes called "CCE" it is probably the Fastest Encoder out there and it Produces the Best quality Mpeg2 files but it is also very complicated to use and you have to have a pretty advanced Knowlege of Video to use it Properly ,Plus it is Very expensive at about $2000 US...Out of these Encoders I would recomend the Mainconcept encoder because it is the easiest to use becides tmpgenc....Cheers

3. shorty2k

shorty2k Member

hey, i agree, ive used TMPGenc for a long time now, its got so much control, and the quality is excellent if you get the settings right, i to aslo have CinemaCraft Encoder SP 2.xx and the quality is also great and for speed its even better (thats if your use to TMPgenc its like a breath of fresh air) however CCE is hard to figure out, and doenst have many functions that TMPgenc offers!