1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TMPGEnc Common Problems!

Discussion in 'User submitted guides' started by Dela, Jun 29, 2003.

1. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

The point of this thread is to list the most common problems with TMPGEnc. Some of the problems listed have been asked over and over again on this forum so I thought it was about time to list them and how to fix them! The list you see now may not have a solution to your problem because this list will be updated every single time I find an error and a fix for it!

You will see the current list below, then scroll down to read about it!

[bold]1. AVI file cannot be opened or unsupported.
    2. Cannot load P3Package.dll
    3. Illegal floating decimal point error
    4. Read error occured at address xxxxxxxxxxx (during encoding)
    5. The error occured when ACM was initialized.
    6. d2v files - cannot open or unsupported.
    7. No audio on output file.
    8. Audio on output file out of sync!
    9. Video output is stretched when it used to have black bars!
    10. TMPGEnc seriously over-estimates file length!
    11. Volume on Input and Output File Very Low!
    12. TMPGEnc see's the video input but wont load the audio!
    13. Visual C++ Runtime Error.[/bold]

(Small list so far but updates will be made)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [bold]1. AVI file cannot be opened or unsupported.[/bold]
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are 3 possible fixes for this error! Sometimes it is simply because you dont have the proper codecs installed! However, you can download GSpot and check the file to see what codecs are required to play it!

Sometimes it can also be solved by raising the priority of DirectShow Multimedia File Reader. This is dont simply by clicking option - environmental setting. Click the VFAPI plug-in tab. You will see DirectShow in the list usually with a priority of -1. Right click on the NAME (not the priority) and click higher priority until the priority is 2 and it is at the top of the list.

And finally, the most sucessful fix for this problem has been to decompress the audio in the avi file before encoding. You can do this with VirtualDUB.

1. Click Video - Direct Stream Copy.
    2. Click Audio - Full Processing Mode.
    3. Click Audio - Compression. Select <No compression (PCM)> and click ok!
    4. Click File - Save AVI and try it with TMPGEnc.

[bold]2. Cannot load P3Package.dll[/bold]

The most common reason why people get this message is because they don't extract all files into one folder! You have to make sure that you have them extracted.

Another Reason why this happens is because people are running TMPGEnc from shortcuts they have made to it on their Desktop. Try running it from its exe file!

[bold]3. Illegal floating decimal point error[/bold]

A fix for this is to disable Use floating point DCT under the quantize matrix tab in setting. However you first have to disable SSE and SSE-2, and this is how...

Click Option and click environmental setting. Click the CPU tab. Unselect Enable SSE and Enable SSE-2. Then Click ok. Now click Setting and click the Quantize matrix tab. Use floating point DCT may have been automatically unselected but if not, unselect it.

[bold]4. Read error occured at address xxxxxxxxxxx (during encoding)[/bold]

This is also very common. The main cause of this is the source file itself! If it is an AVI file you can attempt to fix it by raising the priority of DirectShow Multimedia File Reader! This is dont by clicking option - environmental setting. Click the VFAPI plug-in tab. You will see DirectShow in the list usually with a priority of -1. Right click on the NAME (not the priority) and click higher priority until the priority is 2 and it is at the top of the list. Hopefully that will solve the problem!

If it doesnt, then another possibility is to frameserve from VirtualDUB to TMPGEnc! I wont go into this right here as a guide for it is already on the forum somewhere.

And another option, as a last resort is to select the area before you get this error message and encode that part, then encode after it and use merge & cut to make 1 file. You could do this by clicking setting, click the advanced tab. In the list you will see source range so select it and if it doesnt pop up, double click source range. You can then select before it and click ok! Then encode that part, go back later and select after itto ewncode the second part. Then, you click file - mpeg tools. Click the merge and cut tab, to join them!

[bold]5. The error occured when ACM was initialized.[/bold]

ACM stands for Audio Compression Manager so we already know the problem is with the audio in the source file! It could be a codec problem, you should get gspot to check the file if its an avi. Also, you can try using VirtualDUB to decompres the audio on an avi file, this has fixed the problem in the past! So open the avi in VirtualDUB and do the following...

[bold]6. d2v files - cannot open or unsupported.[/bold]

The DVD2AVI has to be installed correctly. The first thing you need to do is download DVD2AVI, then copy the "DVD2AVI.vfp" file from the DVD2AVI folder into the TMPGEnc folder. Also, since DVD2AVI would be frameserving to TMPGEnc, don't close it!!

[bold]7. No audio on output file.[/bold]

This is usually caused by the compression on the audio of the source file. If it is an AVI file it is very common. With an AVI file the easiest things to do here are set DirectShow Multimedia File Reader's priority to 2 or even better demcompress the audio!

To change the priority of DirectShow, this is dont simply by clicking option - environmental setting. Click the VFAPI plug-in tab. You will see DirectShow in the list usually with a priority of -1. Right click on the NAME (not the priority) and click higher priority until the priority is 2 and it is at the top of the list. To decompress the audio for better results, do the following with VirtualDUB...

[bold]8. Audio on output file out of sync[/bold]

Thisis caused by 2 different things! 1. A damaged Video Stream and 2. The audio source was loaded from a seperate file.

The first thing to remember is [bold]NEVER[/bold] extract a wav with VirtualDUB from an AVI and use it as your audio source, most of the time the audio goes out of sync, instead decompress the audio. Do the following with VirtualDUB...

And as I said earlier, it could be a damaged video stream, in which case you might want to try AviFixed or DivFix to see if they can come up with anything.

[bold]NOTE:[/bold] Always make a backup of an AVI file before running it through AviFixed or DivFix!

[bold]9. Video output is stretched when it used to have black bars[/bold]

This is very easily fixed you will be glad to hear. All you have to do is click setting, click the advanced tab and change Video Arrange Method to "Full Screen (Keep Aspect Ratio)". That should do it!

[bold]10. TMPGEnc seriously over-estimates file length![/bold]

OK, if your problem is that you loaded a 90 minute file (just an example) and TMPGEnc said it was 142 minutes long or something, then this is what to do.

Click setting and click the advanced tab. Select Source Range from the list and if it doesnt pop up, double click source range. Click "move to start frame" and click "set start frame" then click "move to end frame" and click "set end frame". Then click OK and try again!

[bold]11. Volume on Input and Output File Very Low![/bold]

Sometimes you can have a file with very low audio and I just thought some people would like to make it a bit louder.

[bold]NOTE:[/bold] This uses Audio Edit in TMPGEnc. Audio edit sometimes causes the audio to go out of sync on slower computers!

To change the volume, click the setting button and click the audio tab. Select Audio Edit and then click setting. Select change volume. 100% is the volume right now so 200% will double it or 50% will half it!

[bold]12. TMPGEnc see's the video input but wont load the audio![/bold]

This simply means TMPGEnc cant support the audio on the input file! If it is ac3 audio then that is the reason as TMPGEnc doesnt support ac3 audio. Get gspot and check what codec is needed for the audio, if its ac3, refer to the articles section of this site!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [bold]13. Visual C++ Runtime Error[/bold]
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your runime files have been corrupted so the easiest thing to do is re-download them. You may have installation problems, if so, post about it in the vcd/svcd forum please

runtime files - http://www.indigorose.com/download/runtime/visualc60sp4_rts.exe

[bold]Last Notes![/bold]

When I find errors with TMPGEnc I will add them here, so you might not have found the solution to your problem on this thread but dont worry cause there is a whole forum there! James!_X_X_X_X_X_[small]http://www.BillLonero.com - Check out a true artists music!

aD Channel on IRC: Server: rod.liquidirc.com channel: #ad_buddies

[/small]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2003
  2. jamaqs

jamaqs Member

Hello - I am running into another problem with TmpGenc.

I have an DVDRipXVID.avi file. It runs fine on real player. I tested the file with GSpot and the report is that I have the video and audio codecs installed to play this file.

I uncompressed the audio on VirtualDub, then tried to loading the file on TmpGenc - now I get an error below:

Write error occured at address 77F83187 of module 'ntdll.dll' with 00000000.

I have enough HD space - not a problem. I encoded another .avi file yesterday and it worked fine. This one - giving me some troubles.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

3. Dela

Click option - environmental setting. Click the VFAPI plug-in tab. You will see DirectShow in the list usually with a priority of -1. Right click on the NAME (not the priority) and click higher priority until the priority is 2 and it is at the top of the list.

Let me know if that helps it, if it does then I will add it to the main list! Thanx

4. gidgette

gidgette Member

I have the EXACT same problem as jamaqs. I get the same error message with one of my AVI files. I encoded another the other day and it worked fine. I changed the priority of Direct Show but that didn't help. It happens before the program begins to encode at all. Any thoughts would be appreciated. P.S. Now I'm starting to get the same message when I hit "browse" to even load the file. Please help!
    Thanks

5. Dela

hmm try downloading and installing the ffdshow mpeg-4 codecs. This could be a prob with the xvid codec!

Other than that, how often do you defragment your drive?

6. gidgette

gidgette Member

I already have FFDShow installed. As for defragging... My pc just crashed the other day so I had to do a full System Recovery. In other words, I'm just starting from square one again. I am in the process of redownloading everything I had. I never had a prob with TMPGEnc until now. I mean before my pc crashed I had it and it worked beautifully. I don't know. I think I'm just having a streak of BAD LUCK! :( Thanks!

7. jamaqs

jamaqs Member

Does it have to do anything with XVID files? Now that I think about it more, I had a similar problem in the past with another XVID file. At that time, I installed FFDShow codec (based on a recommendation in afterdawn) to see if it helps and it didn't. I ended up not encoding that movie.

8. Dela

Ok, hmm this is an odd problem now but you may bet I will get to the end of it! Can I ask what codecs you both got installed?

9. gidgette

gidgette Member

Ok... Bear with me... Cause some of this stuff is like a foreign language to me. I have Divx, X-vid, AC3, FFDShow and Nimo.... I think that's correct. Does it sound right? :)
    Thanks

10. jamaqs

jamaqs Member

Dela,

I don't know how to get a quick list like gidgette did - I am happy to take any suggestions.

However, I used GSpot to get a complete list of installed Video/Audio codecs - into a spreadsheet. I can e-mail that spreadsheet to you if you wish. Send me an e-mail to REMOVED and I will reply.

Thanks..

Last edited: Jul 27, 2003
  11. Dela

Sorry I cant give out my email address and yours had to be removed in accordance with rules!

gidgette, Did you install the entire nimo codec pack?

12. gidgette

gidgette Member

I'm pretty sure I have the full Nimo pack installed. I downloaded a more recent version of TMPGEnc yesterday and deleted my old and I haven't had that error again. I encoded a movie last night with success! My bad luck is ending... I hope! Thanks for all your help and the quick replys! This message board is great!

13. jamaqs

jamaqs Member

I am not having better luck like Gidgette. I also downloaded Nimo and latest TmpGenc (ver 2.520). I still get the same error.

14. Phantom

Phantom Member

I just want to say when I first used TMPGENC I had all these ERRORS.

Infact Dela probably is listing the errors because of his experience with me!!!=)

Thankfully you all will have success because I think Dela pretty well covered the solutions to these problems on this page..

Best wishes!

15. jamaqs

jamaqs Member

Thanks for the note Phantom. I hope I can sort out my problems with some help as well.

Yesterday, I tried encoding the movie with Nero and what I was afraid was true - the picture was upside down. (I read about the Nero encoding problems in the forum)

Now I am at a standstill..

16. Dela

Try removing the nimo codec pack?

Phantom, nah the reason for this thread is because of my experiences with a few hundred users! ;-)

17. Phantom

Phantom Member

That's good Dela I am glad to hear I wasn't the only one that bugged you!!

18. jamaqs

jamaqs Member

Dela - Removing the Nimo codec pack didn't help. I tried a different movie now and I get two errors.
    First one - "The error occured when ACM was initialized". Second one - the same write error as before.

19. gidgette

gidgette Member

Jamaqs- I was getting the same 2 messages at times also. Did you try just deleting TMPGEnc and redownloading and then reinstall? I am using version 2.512.52.161 Maybe try that. I don't really know what worked for me. I did the above and it seemed to do the trick. Good luck!

20. jamaqs

jamaqs Member

Gidgette - Are you 'installing' TmpGenc? The program that I downloaded (from afterdawn) is a zip file, that unzips on a folder and I run the executable file from that unzipped folder. Is that wrong? All the TmpGenc versions that I have used have worked this way. Is there a different 'installable' version of TmpGenc that I should be using?