1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TMPGENC compression settings question

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by djscoop, May 25, 2004.

1. djscoop

djscoop Active member

okay guys, I got a fairly simple question, I hope. I want to convert some segments from a DVD into mpeg1 at either 320x240 or 640x480 at semi-high quality. I'm using the VCD guide, using dvd2avi and tmpgenc. but with tmpgenc, the only compression options are VCD, SVCD, or DVD. isn't there anyway to make your own settings as far as video size and compression? thanks for the help!

2. shiroh

shiroh Guest

for that you can't use the wizard. its all in the settings.

note that, if you want to play this on a dvd player or any hardware player, 640x480 won't show up properly cause its an illegal resolution. either 480x480 or 704x480 or 720x480. for NTSC of course.

and this means you are not making normal vcd but a xvcd, check if your player plays it.

3. whassup

whassup Regular member

In your TMPGEnc folder, there is a sub-folder called "Template". In that sub-folder, are .mcf files which are the templates for VCD/SVCD/DVD/etc.

Load up the .mcf file you want in Notepad and change "True" to "False" for whatever settings you want to change.

Save the changes, load up TMPGEnc, and you're good to go.

BTW, standard NTSC VCD is 352x240 and PAL is 352x288. Anything other than that may cause your stand-alone to not play the VCD properly.

4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

thanks guys, I will try changing the templates. And no, I'm not using these for VCD of SVCD. These are strictly for watching on computer. If I wanted to copy it I'd just copy the dvd.

5. lljr

lljr Member

Use the KVCD or MVCD templates for TMPGEnc, they have 352x240 res. They're great

6. djscoop

djscoop Active member

where can I find those templates?

7. jakks

jakks Regular member

8. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

unless you want to completely F**K up the quality of your source use the kvcd templates, you can fit a whole movie on 1 cd YAY!! but imo kvcd kills the quality of your source, its not as bad as a TMD/SMR re-encode, but its very very close to it.

i'd stick with the normal vcd template, not only for the quality but also because your standalone dvd player will have no problems reading the disc, while with kvcd only a selected few standalone dvd players are capable of playing a kvcd mpeg1 file.
    http://www.kvcd.org/portal/articles.php?lng=en&pg=19

anyways goodluck..cheerz

9. shiroh

shiroh Guest

my compression of choice is xvid, if its gonna be on your hard drive xvid will give a lot of difference in quality with the same size, and a higher resolution too, considering the resolution of the source of course. but its your call.

10. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

no i disagree with that shiroh, the kvcd file will be alot smaller than an xivd file because of the very low bitrate. but yes i agree that the quality of a xvid file will be a hell of alot better than a kvcd re-encode.

11. djscoop

djscoop Active member

okay, I checked out the kvid website, and downloaded those templates. they work okay, but it would still be nice to find a program that lets you adjust to bit rate and size of the video without having to load and adjust a template. you guys know of any other apps that can do this? I could easily edit it in premiere, but it doesn't like handling dvd mpeg2 files.

12. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

you can adjust the bitrate using tmpgenc.

close the wizard then goto load and open unlock.mcf, now you can adjust the bitrate to whatever you want, lower/higher the choice is yours.

13. djscoop

djscoop Active member

BINGO! thats exactly what I was looking for... thanks!!!