1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TMPGEnc Doesnt recognise mpeg

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by shrekie, Aug 31, 2004.

1. shrekie

shrekie Member

I'm having trouble converting a mpeg file to dvd format. I've look on many forums and have not been able to find an answer.

Basically it just says its unsupported, I've turned the enviromental controls up but got no results...
    Please can someone help me

2. shrekie

shrekie Member

Oh and if it helps the file is called AVSEQ01.mpg and is from a svcd, I used IsoBuster to extract the file.

3. Navig8r

Navig8r Regular member

hey shrekie
    you can try this link here http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/40101 see if that helps you any....I have had lots of trouble with TMPGEnc, I finally broke down and got WinAvi converter, no problems since it will convert in serveral formats mpeg 1 mpeg 2 SVCD VCD non standard mpeg and even DVD which works great for DVDLab anyway try the link see if that works if not you might consider WinAvi it will convert anything (as long as there really is something on the file).

4. Navig8r

Navig8r Regular member

hey shrekie
    Did that help you out at all??

5. shrekie

shrekie Member

Okay I've now used the Gspot to check for the codecs but it say 'n.a' on all results.
    The file is mpg and I copied it from a svcd
    It will run on winamp but on most other programs says it failed to create a layer or something.
    And thanks Navig8r Im gonna try Winavi once its downloaded.

6. Navig8r

Navig8r Regular member

No Prob on the WinAVi software it really does work great.....anyway back to the issue, it sounds like you do not have the proper codecs on your system. That is why you are recieving NA in those fields, you want all fields filled in (it will display NA if your system does not have the files codec) , it depends on what the original compression was Xvid, divx ect, thats whats gonna determine what codec you need...try and find out what type of file it was originally then search for the codec you might start here www.codec-download.com/index.php good luck let me know if you have any ?'s

7. shrekie

shrekie Member

Yay I finally downloaded those all in one codecs from www.codec-download.com/index.php But they made the problem worse and it ended up I couldnt convert files I could before.
    Well I uninstalled them and its okay again, But I still am having no luck with those SVCD's.
    Has anyone else had this problem or what?
    Because I really want to convert these files for a dvd so I can watch then on my TV :)

8. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

9. janice1

janice1 Member

u are not the only one. I´m having the same problem in whatever program i try to use. I have some svcd movies i downloaded, that i want to convert to dvd. when i´m trying to add these avseq01 files to dvd santa it just says unable to open video file. the same in dvd lab. in TMPGEnc it wont convert them because they are not mpeg files but mpg files. Can anyone help plz???

10. aldav45

aldav45 Member

you shouldnt be infringing copyright by downloading vcd's from the net, however, i'll give you the benefit of the doubt.
    you should OWN the video you are trying to backup.

the file extension for mpeg is .mpg

what you need to do is extract the .cue files. then use a program called vcdgear to convert .cue to mpeg. if its 2 discs it'll be two .cue files the 2 .mpg files. then use tmpg author (file then mpeg tools) to join the two mpeg files you got from vcdgear. then you will have one .mpg file.
    what to do now is use mainconcept encoder to convert to dvd standard as the framerate on vcd is not compatible with dvd.
    asfter you've done that, use tmpgenc or dvd lab to author and burn to a disc.
    this may not be the way everyone does it but it works and the results are good.

11. janice1

janice1 Member

thanks for your reply.
    I just have a coupple of questions.
    How do i extract the .cue files from my svcd folders. I cant find any files called .cue. I have a folder called mpeg2 witch contains a file called avseq01.mpg.

U also talked about using TMPG to join the two mpeg files. Is this the right way:file-mpeg tools-
    merge and cut? and what should i set the type to be?
    Again thanks man

12. aldav45

aldav45 Member

set the filetype to mpeg 1 system (automatic)
    try this:

http://ness888.users.btopenworld.com/fromvcd2dvd.htm

dont burn with intervideo though. use nero or tmpgenc's own burner. ( I prefer to use DVD Lab instead of TMPGEnc to do the menus and stuff)

hope this helps let us know how you get along.