1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TMPGEnc DVD Author guide as promised

Discussion in 'DVD2One forum' started by Oriphus, Jul 17, 2003.

1. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

2. ericbee

ericbee Regular member

I am attempting to follow your guide and use the software. I have encountered a problem. When trying to create a dvd witha file I ripped to my hard drive, the software refuses to open it and an error message indicating something like "cannot open ifo file" comes up. I tried removing the ifo file from teh list of vob's but, it still gives the same message.

My question is in what mode do you need to rip the movie? I used IFO mode with no luck. Now I am trying file mode movie only. I am using decrypter so I need to know exactly how to rip them for the program to recognize them. Thanks.

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

That error seems to occur whenever some of the files are missing. Try ripping into a folder, without compression. Name the folder VIDEO_TS and then select it in the open DVD Video section. Thats what works for me.

4. ericbee

ericbee Regular member

I am confused. I just tried ripping it via file mode with no luck. I don't know how any files can be missing, I am ripping the movie in it's entirety.

Decrypter has a default in my c drive, so I will try and change it to a "video" folder instead.

Finally, I have no idea what you mean by with "no compresion"? I do not use any compression when ripping or do I?

Finally, is there a preferred mode (ifo or file) you use when ripping? Thanks

5. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

No no, you dont use compression when ripping. I was just pointing out that it is better to do the compression once the TMPGEnc DVD Author stage is done. Actually, renaming the folder wont change anything. IFO I is the prefered mode in DVD Decrypter.

6. ericbee

ericbee Regular member

My next new problem is that TMP is not seeing any of the files in my second folder. Basically I ripped a double sided movie into 2 folders video ts 1 and video ts 2. Folder 1 opened fine and is working but it is one long chapter an hour and a half long, not 20 5 inute chapters. The bigger problem is that the second folder is showing nothing in the program. Opening it shows it is full of ifo, vob and bup files but it is not visible using the program.

Help.

PS I tried changing the vob files to be numbers 5,6,7,8 to follow the 1,2,3,4 in folder 1.

7. Labrat

Labrat Regular member

Looks like a good guide for Vob authoring. But that's only half of what it is capable of doing. Are you going to add another guide for what it can do with Mpeg files? This program works very well when you capture Video Via S-Video Connetion, Say from your Tv.

8. ericbee

ericbee Regular member

I have once again thrown in the towel. I tried ripping the second disc 10 different ways using different folder names and using different modes, no way for the program to open the folders or see whats inside them.

If I get a responce on this thread I may try again but, I can't see how it can work and why the entire first disc was read as a single file as opposed to multiple chapters.

9. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Ericbee, ill look into your problem.

Labrat, i only wrote the guide for VOB auhtoring. i am looking into the Video Capturing aspect of it. I will do a seperate guide for that linked off this guide if i am able. Any help is always appreciated.

Im also looking into TMPGEnc Plus at the min. It gets so confusing trying to think of every aspect there is ;-)

10. Labrat

Labrat Regular member

Oh I agree they is alot to this program, but I just use it for Movies an Shows I Capture off the Tv. Because it take the Mpeg and creates the Vob's need for burning to DVD. One good thing is if the Authored Vob's files are say 6.5Gb you can run it through DVD2ONE an make it just the right size for 1 Dvd Disc, plus you can select just the movie, this will get rid if the ugly menu it creates. The only reason I use this program is because of it's simplicity ;)

11. ericbee

ericbee Regular member

Got it all working by ripping with decrypter to a seperate folder and not the default folder. Furthermore, the ONLY way I got success was by burning in FILE mode and selecting ALL FILES and not Movie only. Now this program works like a champ.

This is so much easier than using ifo edit and vob edit becuase it takes both sides of a disc and recreates all of the ifo and vob files and outputs it in one file. Then you compress with dvd2one and burn.

I have successfully combined Goodfellas and removed the 8 second delay between flips and I just did Gangs of NY and removed nearly 9 minutes of ending credits to allow for less compression and better overall PQ.

Thanks for the guide and pointing me to this software. It is good.

12. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Was this using DVD Decrypter? It should be IFO 1 the setting. But if it works, then i suppose thats good.