1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TMPGenc DVD Author question

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by xxnonamex, Feb 23, 2005.

1. xxnonamex

xxnonamex Guest

Ok I have edited my home video with TMPGenc DVD author and now I am trying to get the file into DVD lab but it won't let me can someone please help Thanks

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

You've already authored it, why reauthor?
    If you want to do menus in dvdlab, import the VTS_01_1.VOB and let dvdlab join and demux.

3. xxnonamex

xxnonamex Guest

I can't cut out certain parts in dvdlab that is why I went into DVD Author to delete some scenes that I didn't want but I would like to put into DVD Lab. Is it possible?

4. xxnonamex

xxnonamex Guest

I don't understand what you meant by using DVDlab menus and using VOB and Demux?

5. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Tmpgenc DVD Author puts out a dvd structure.
    A VIDEO_TS folder, with the .vob's inside it.
    Open DVDLab, and righ click in Assets, browse for the VTS_01_1.VOB file, and dvdlab will ask what to do with it.
    Select join and demux.
    You are now ready to author it again.
    Although I still fail to see why.
    Tmpgenc DVD Author can author the edited file just as easily.
    It would be simpler to demux your file. Load it into Cuttermaran, Womble mpeg editor, or whatever, cut what you want, then save, and import that into dvdlab.

6. xxnonamex

xxnonamex Guest

You said it's simpler to demux my file and load it into cutterman then save and import into DVDlab. What is cutterman? Is this simpler then the way described it in your last post? Thanks alot I appreciate it

7. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Because DVDLab works with elementary streams, Cuttermaran (a free simple editor) can trim out advertising, station breaks, etc, and then you can import it's output into dvdlab.
    I still think you're better off loading your files into tmpgenc dvd author, edit as needed, then give it a menu and let it compile and burn.
    No need to use dvdlab.
    You said originally you "edited my home video with TMPGenc DVD Author". So now it's edited. All you need to do is author it, which is what TMPGEnc DVD Author DOES!
    I can't figure out why you would author the edited video, then reauthor it in dvdlab.

8. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Crap.
    The BBS kept hanging up on me.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2005
  9. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Again...

Last edited: Feb 24, 2005
  10. xxnonamex

xxnonamex Guest

I just think the menus look nice and the way that dvd author is setup is nice.

11. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

OK. It seems an unnecessary step, but as I said above, you can let tmpgenc dvd author do it's thing, and output the dvd structure to your hard drive.
    Import the .vobs into dvdlab, let it demux and join, then you can reauthor as you like.
    I still think there are easier ways to edit mpegs, but it depends on what software you already have, and what you're comfortable with.
    Be aware than tmpgenc dvd author only has a 12 frame leeway for cuts, in order to keep the GOP structure correct, so you may not get your cuts exactly where you want. Something like Womble mpegvcr will give you exact frame-accurate cuts, so will Cuttermaran.

12. xxnonamex

xxnonamex Guest

I tried using the Womble and I have encountered problems with it. First I think the instructions on how to use it is very confusing b/c I followed it and it did not work correctly. Now if I use this file w/o editing it works fine but when I edit it (cut out unecessary frames) and I put the file into TMPGenc DVD Author I get the error that it is the wrong frame rate and resolution. I don't understand why it is giving me such a hard time.

13. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Because an mpeg structure for DVD is quite specific, when you edit an mpeg, you can screw up the GOP (amongst other things).
    The instructions for Womble are originally in German, so stuff get's lost in translation. I prefer Cuttermaran. At least I can get accurate frame cuts.
    If TDA won't accept the input, then you saved it wrong. Make sure you save in the same aspect/framerate as the original (I know womble sucks for this, it's just too damn difficult to understand).
    A workaround is to remux the file in tmpgenc's mpeg tools (not TDA), as mpeg-2 program VBR.
    TDA may accept it then.

14. xxnonamex

xxnonamex Guest

I used cutterman and i cut it and got an illegal video file in the TMPGenc program when I dded the file in. Any settings I need to do? Thanks

15. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Demux and remux in tmpgenc.
    This should fix the GOP, which is causing the errors in TDA.
    This is another reason I don't use TDA, it's far too fussy. Try DVDLab.

16. xxnonamex

xxnonamex Guest

Ok I am sooo confused now. I want to use DVDLab I used cuttermaran to cut the parts I did not want in my video and now I would like to put the file into DVDLAB it won't allow me to place the project in it.

17. xxnonamex

xxnonamex Guest

Can you help me in cutting out a part in my video using cuttermaran? Some reason it isn't working right it's cutting weird. How do I cut out a part and save the part that I want? Thanks

18. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Select the start frame of the part you want cut out (Select cut in). Mark it. Select the end frame, mark it, add range to cut list. Continue until you have all your cut points correct in the cut list. Click Cut Video/Audio, save with a different file name.
    Import the finished product into dvdlab.

19. xxnonamex

xxnonamex Guest

I can't import it. What am I doing wrong? Thanks

20. xxnonamex

xxnonamex Guest

I changed the name it won't allow me to change the cuttermaran file extension name. Sorry for the difficulties but I don't know what I am doing wrong. Thanks for all of your help I greatly appreciate it.