1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tmpgenc Encoding inconsistencies

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by skip_1961, Dec 23, 2003.

1. skip_1961

skip_1961 Member

I am new to TMPGENC, having used Ulead 6.5 previously.
    I like the much faster encoding/conversion speed of TMPGENC vs Ulead, but I don't understand why it does the following:

I have several 5 to 10 minute MPEGs which were captured/converted to MPEG2 using Ulead products.
    Now I want to join them using Tmpgenc MPEG tool. I add all of them to the "Merge" list and click Run. It rejected some of them as being a different format than the rest.

I tried running some of them back through the Ulead file conversion and that worked for some but not all.

So, I spent the time to run each and every one of the clips through the encoding process in Tmpgenc, making them all standard MPEG2's.

I then reload them all into the MPEG tool and it still rejects some of them as not being the same format.

How can I get around this or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well First Off "NEVER" re-encode a File..Every Time you re-encode a File you Greatly reduce the Quality of the File and it doesn"t Matter what settings you use or Bitrate you will allways Loose a Bunch of Quality...Secondly Tmpgenc only supports Joining and cutting of files that were originally encoded by tmpgenc but even then that doesn"t work..You need to use a Real Mpeg Editor Like "Womble Mpeg2VCR" it will Join any Mpeg files of the same resolution and audio Format, ...As For encodeing Speed Tmpgenc is one of the Slower encoders out there, if you want fast high Quality encodeing then try "MainConcept Encoder" which is at least 3 times as Fast as Tmpgenc and produces simular Quality ,Or even faster is CinemaCraft encoder which is anywere from 5-20 times as Fast as Tmpgenc and arguably produces the Highest Quality Mpeg2 files out of any Encoder accept it sells for $2000 US...

3. skip_1961

skip_1961 Member

Thanks for your reply.
    I certainly did not want to re-encode, but TmpGenc didn't give me any choice. I did have some success with converting some clips with Ulead 6.5, but others were rejected by TmpGenc. It just seems like all these clips that were created exactly the same way and to the same NTSC-DVD spec. ought to be recognized.
    I'll try your other suggestions and/or install Ulead 7 demo and give it a try at joining the clips.
    Thanks again and Merry Christmas.

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Ulead is Not a Real Mpeg editor so if you Try to use it to Join your Clips it will also re-encode them to Join them which will Degrade the Quality..If you MP Me with your Email address I can send you something that you can use to Join your Files...Cheers