1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TmpgEnc encoding slow or SLOW ??

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by anim8or, Nov 5, 2004.

1. anim8or

anim8or Member

Hi all, I'm new to the forums, and a newbie at DVD burning in general but I've recently discovered something that may be valuable to other n00bs.

Many people have complained that TmpgEnc can take 14 hours or longer to encode a movie to MPEG. I found that the solution is to set the task priority "when on idle" to NORMAL. This setting is found on the 3rd tab in the encode section of the app.

What I was doing during long encodes (and what i suspect many others do) is to shrink the app down, or bring some other window up to surf the web or whatever, which causes the Windows OS to background the process, so less CPU time gets devoted to encoding. You can see this by bringing up the Task Manager and viewing the Process tab, sort by CPU. When I made this change I saw a 66% reduction in encode time, so it should whittle 14 hrs down to 3-3.5 hrs. And this is with 2-pass VBR, if you can figure out how to do 1-pass (working on it) then it should get the encode time down to 1.5-2 hrs.

hope this helps!

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there anim8or,

Nice post. Unfortunately, too many pple figure that our recommendations of, "Don't operate the PC until the backup is finished." just don't apply to them. Both encoding and burning require all the processor's resources. Using the PC to play music, burn CD's and for surfing the Net stretch the encoding and burning times out. Explanations every so often just may sink in if they read enough of them. Thanks for your contribution,

Pete

3. jmpm

jmpm Guest

true yes, although you have to remember cpu usage is only affected when you are actually interacting with your pc surfing to a web site and doing some reading wil not effect the cpu usage that much. Having your browser open and tmpge minimised does not "background" the process at all, if fact because the screen does not have to change what is displaying as much (as opposed to tmpge displaying a constantly changing a video preview window) will actually make encoding speedier.

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

From your paragraph this will be the only thing most will see (Lol) It's called selective reading retention.

Unfortunately, when we say "OK, a little usage is OK". The majority think, "Kweel, I'll just chill listening to some tunes with Winamp, surf the Net a bit and download some more stuff (during a download my screen doesn't change much and I've minimized the encoding preview screen) so it should encode really, really fast now AND since I'm just going to print some labels for the discs in advance, once again, while I'm doing the labels, my screen doesn't change much, I'll be fine."

Hey now, what the heck is this? ?" Then we'll see, "I was doing everything EXACTLY as written and I got this error (or coaster) - - -"

And my friend, so it goes -

That being the way of things, let me ask you, should we tell them, DO NOT USE YOUR PC. Or Should we say, sure, surfing is OK and so are other things so long as my screen doesn't change too much -

It's stupid but when you're here long enough you'll see why we say what we say and don't add anything else.

Hopefully, this thread won't be answered too much and will become lost in our archives (Heh, heh) else they'll mis-quote me too -

All this is just a "heads up" for the repercussions we get when we give pple an "inch" - :)

Cheers,

Pete

5. ender60

ender60 Member

the best encoding is done when one is snoring!! :)