1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TMPGenc ...help please

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by stew000, Apr 8, 2005.

1. stew000

stew000 Guest

ok, i got an mpg file i want to convert to dvd..
    tmpgeng runs through the file and saves it as 2 files a .wav and a .m2v (whatever that is)

in the output to, there is mpg, avi and wave... but no .vob

is there any prog out there where i can just drag n drop file(s) to one window, select output file format (.vob in this case) and hit run
    (maybe have a few filters there as well, like noise contrast ect)

also, i know there are many progs out there to normalize volume on audio files, is there anything to do the same with mpg files?

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

m2v is the video only portion of your file. The .wav is the audio.
    Yes, Rejig will do this, as will a few others.
    Yes, but not a drag and drop answer. These are advanced editing tools, and you should be using prefilters, or the ones in tmpgenc.
    An mpg is made up of an audio track and a video track joined together. Take them apart, fix audio and put them back together again.

Edit: WTF has this got to do with capturing video? ;)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2005
  3. Webuser

Webuser Member

After you have created your .m2v and wav file you have to author it. Get Tmpgenc DVD Author. Simply put the .m2v file in it have a play with chapters etc ( if you want to) and away you go. After a few minutes you will be left with a VIDEO_TS folder of which you burn with Nero on to a dvd. Stick with it. Its one of the better ways of encoding. Once you get use to it its easy. There are other encoders out there that are easier to use like VSO DivxToDVD, and quicker, but all depends what you want. Quality, speed or ease of use. VSO DivxToDVD is quick, but lacks quality and edit abilty. Tmpgenc is a good all round piece of kit.

4. stew000

stew000 Guest

ok, so if i understand you....
    1, split video and audio components with TMPGenc

2, run audio component (the .wav's) through normalization software

3, uses TMPG's dvd author to rejoin the 2 files to a .vob

4, burn

another question, do i use filters on the video component when its on its own, or joined with the wave? , and wouldnt i get a problem with keeping the audio\video in sync when i rejoin? sorry if this is a dumb question.

5. Webuser

Webuser Member

All I ever do is pick up the .m2v file and stick it through Tmpgenc dvd author, you can at this stage play the file through dvd author just to check you have sound, and that it's in sync. I then create my chapters and hit 'begin output' which in turn creates a VIDEO_TS folder, which I then burn to dvd using Nero. You may find that the mpeg file you have is a compliant dvd file anyway, in which case you can stick that through dvd author and create your VIDEO_TS that way. It will soon tell you if its wrong.

6. stew000

stew000 Guest

ok, got that.... im just trying to get all the info b4 i start here,

if the audio is out of sync how can i bring them back in line?

the way i see it, if the screen had 2 panels, top had the audio wave in it, (just like it looks in something like cooledit)

the bottom had a similar pattern for the video component.
    would be easy adjust then

7. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Sony Soundforge does it that way...not cheap.
    If you rip the audio, then clean it as you like, then resave it, without changing it's frequency or duration, it should stay in sync throughout the encoding and authoring stages. It's actually better to do audio separately.