1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TMPGEnc no longer see's AVI's?

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by Leon399, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Leon399

Leon399 Guest

Strange problem..and not sure how it started. Normally I take my avi files and load them into TMPGEnc and off I go..been doing it a long time. Now today, out of seemingly nowhere, TMPGEnc will only encode audio. Normally before beginning the encode I will see the first frame of the file about to be converted. Now, I see nothing but a black box where the picture would normally be. I've tried many avi files and they are all doing the same thing.

Does anyone know what might have happened here and what I can do to fix it? Thanks for any help.

2. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

You need to have the codec that encoded the movie installed on your system.

Use Gspot to find out which one you need.

3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

4. totalguy

totalguy Member

i have a problem with tmpgenc playing certain avi files (i have version 2.5 plus) it dosent like files with the xvid codec it says cannot open or unsupported format. i used gspot to find out the codec on it and yes as i expected it was xvid what a suprise not!! this file will play in windows media player no problems but i cant get it to work with tmpgenc to convert it. its the same with any xvid coded avi or mpeg files. oh and before anything is said yes im using xvid codec and its nic's version (the best one in my opinion)

Totalguy

5. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

Actually the Problem with XviD files is not mentioned there..The solution to the Errors poping up with XviD files or it just not encodeing the Files has to do mostly with Tmpgenc not likeing the XviD codec..If you install FFDShow and configure it to decode XviD files this error goes away...Cheers

7. totalguy

totalguy Member

i have ffdshow instaled but theres so many settings on it i wouldnt know where to start can you help?

Totalguy

8. Minion

Minion Senior member

The Very top row of settings in the List is called "Codecs" (I think) and in there is were you configure what codec you want it to decode...It will decode Pretty much every Video format which Basicly means that you do not need any codecs installed on your System unless they are used for compression...cheers

9. totalguy

totalguy Member

still no luck :( it will still play it but still not reading in tmpgenc

Totalguy

10. Minion

Minion Senior member

Have you also Tried this: in tmpgenc go to "options" to "Enviromental settings" to "vfapi Plugins" and Raise the "Direct show" to "2" ?? This is the Usualy way to get rid of the "Can not open or Unsupported" Message..Installing FFDshow stops Tmpgenc erroring out durring the encodeing Proscess..Post back to see if this works...

11. totalguy

totalguy Member

yes i done that already and all things previously mentioned

12. totalguy

totalguy Member

yes i done that already and all things previously mentioned, and i even tried the thread powerdup put the link for above

Totalguy

Last edited: Oct 18, 2003
  13. Minion

Minion Senior member

And you can Play this file also?? so you know it isn"t corrupted or anything?? Well then I would then sugest you try to see if you can load the File into Virtual Dub and if you can then you can use Virtual Dub to frame serve the file to Tmpgenc or if you are more comfortable with AVISynth then that would be better but if you don"t know how to use Virtual Dub to frame serve then let me know and I"ll try to explain it...Cheers

14. totalguy

totalguy Member

already tried vdub and it wouldnt open it yes it plays fine in wmplayer so i will try and get hold of this avi synth and give that a bash

Totalguy

15. totalguy

totalguy Member

already tried vdub and it wouldnt open it yes it plays fine in wmplayer so i will try and get hold of this avi synth and give that a bash, if you know anywhere i can get hold of it would be apreciated thanks.

Totalguy

16. Minion

Minion Senior member

You can find AVISynth easilly enough but learning how to use it will Take a while...AVISynth uses a Scripting language to implement it"s Functions so you basicly have to learn how to write a certain type of Code that tells the Frame server what to do with your File...if you go to "http://www.avisynth.org/" it will give you information on it and it"s Filters and the scripting commands to implent it"s Functions...

17. dnet48

dnet48 Member

18. doggybone

doggybone Member

Under Environmental Setting, move Directshow Multimedia File Reader to priority 1, and then under Option, uncheck Register TMPGENC.vfp to VFAPI.

I had similar problem with TMPGENc2.547 not reading DV-AVI file. Works fine now. Just takes me about 7 hours to encode 1 hour from DV-AVI to SVCD on AMD Duron 1.2 w/512Megs.