1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TmpgEnc Plus - audio/video - cannot open/unsupported

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by SilentX, Apr 20, 2007.

1. SilentX

SilentX Member

Hi all ..

New here, but hope to frequent in the future if I can get the help I need.

Ok, I have just completed a fresh install of Windows XP Pro last night. I installed my usual array of DVD tools (codecs, TmpgEnc Plus, DVD Movie Factory, VirtualDub, DVD Shrink, etc ..) Now for some reason, when I go to open my normal avi's, TmpgEnc crashes, stating cannot open/unsupported. I have been doing encoding/making dvd's like this for 4+ years now. After 20+ formats, I can always get everything back up and running. This is the very first time this is happening.

I already know to raise the DirectShow filter to +2. I have xvid, divx, and ffdshow codecs installed. The avi's themselves are standard Xvid/Cyberlink MP3. They play fine using my WMP 11 and VLC player. They consist of scene release tv shows, poker shows, etc .. and actually I had started to convert them before I formatted, but forgot to backup, and now I need to start over. (so i know they will work without any other progs using my usal method).

I have never, ever needed to convert the audio using another program, nor do anything to the video before sending it through TmpgEnc. I simply start TmpgEnc Plus, use the wizard, open the avi, adjust brightness, volume, etc and start the batch. I have been trying to figure this out for like 3 hours now, and it simply will not open the avi. I am certain I am missing a code, but I have them all installed (xvid, divx, ffdshow, cyberlink, etc .. as stated).

The only workaround I can see is if I drop Directshow to 0, and raise AVI2(OpenDML) to +2 .. then it will open the avi video, but I get no sound.

Making DVD's for me is like 90% of what I use my computer for, and TmpgEng is my fav program .. I dont want to have to use something else. This has always worked, and I am hoping its just a setting or something somewhere that I am forgetting to correct. I give eternal thanx to anyone who can help me get back up and enjoying what I love most.

Using version 2.524.63.181 if that makes any difference.
    Awaiting desperate help ....

2. attar

attar Senior member

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  3. SilentX

SilentX Member

Having restarted in Safe Mode just now ... YES ! TmpgEnc runs fine, it opens the exact avi's that otherwise wouldnt load, lets me edit them (contrast, brightness, sharpness, etc ...) The only thing I noticed, when I tried to increase the volume on the Audio tab, it stated I need DirectX .. I know for sure I have 9.0c or whatever the latest is .. Im assuming its just a disabled feature in safe mode.

Ok, so with that knowledge in hand, what in the world can it be ? Im kinda bummed because I consider myself quite the veteran of DVD creating and stuff, but I just cant get this.

4. attar

attar Senior member

The only reason I suggested it was because sometimes something is running that doesn't agree with other programs.
    If you run Startupcop you can look at the programs which start running at boot up.
    Disabling one at a time and rebooting helps figure out where the problem is.
    You could also look at the task manager before running tmpgenc and stop a suspect process and see if that helps.
    It might be something as simple as an Antivirus prog or Nero.

http://www.mermeliz.com/startup_cop/startcop_install.zip

Winpatrol does much the same.

Good luck!

5. SilentX

SilentX Member

Thinking about what you mentioned, it seems to be something like you said. Something is running that is interfering. I use Norton Antivirus, but then again, have been since 2003, and I know for sure that isnt it.

From your post, I did upgrade to the latest edition of Nero for this format. I was using a very old version, from like a year ago. I am now going to uninstall Nero, and see what happens.

Considering this works fine in Safe Mode, I know for sure I have what I need already installed to use TmpgEnc the way I always do. So it seems to be a conflict of some sort.

I have checked Task Manager and all looks fine. I have also checked msconfig, and the basics are starting up, there doesnt seem to be anything in the way, but Nero is on the way out as my 1st step. Will report back.

6. SilentX

SilentX Member

Uninstalled Nero Ultra 7 Ed .. and it still does not work. There is nothing out of the ordinary starting up or running in the background.

Sigh .. I am so upset over this. I just wish it would dam work already. I am out of ideas again, and desperate for advice :-(

7. attar

attar Senior member

Consider uninstalling ffdshow, rebooting and reinstalling.
    also:
    I remember once having an avi with ac3 audio that was refused.
    I think I restarted TMPGenc, selected dvd, ntsc etc then turned off the Wizard and loaded the 'unlock.mcf' template and it ran ok.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  8. SilentX

SilentX Member

SUCCESS !!!!

Thanx so much Attar for sticking with me on this one.

Your last suggestion solved it. I un-installed the version of ffdshow I had, and restarted. I then downloaded the latest one I saw available (turned out the one I had was quite old), and installed it. I restarted yet again, and then tried running TmpgEnc and adding my avi and BAM ... loaded fine with sound available.

I can get to my dvd creating now. I dont know exactly what happened there, but it was definitly the codec. Maybe a bad install, or I didnt check something. All I know is Im back to making mpg2's the way I like to and all is fine.

Cant thank you enough !!

9. attar

attar Senior member

Codecs and Voodoo.
    All much the same.