1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TmpgEnc Pluss Xvid - SVCD

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by JeremeyN, Oct 12, 2004.

1. JeremeyN

JeremeyN Member

How come when I try to convert a Xvid show to svcd the projected filesize is astronimical if I lower it manualy to 100% it lowers the bitrate to like 500kbs which would not be any good?

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

What does it mean 'TMPGenc plus ...'? If you convert the Xvid .AVI into a SVCD file using TMPGenc, the rule is "approximately 35' of movie can be stored into a 650 MB CD-R". If you create a VCD, the maximum movie length goes up to 70'. It doesn't speak about bitrate or something else (which you set when you CREATE an AVI from a movie, not when you convert AVI --> MPG). So, what do you have? Won't you be using Nero, is it? It is FORBIDDEN, buggy, never use it!!!
    To put the MPEG into a VCD, read the '100% method to create a VCD' and, if you don't have a registered version of VCDEasy, use VCDGear, instead. It is freeware.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Read forum rules!
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2004
  3. JeremeyN

JeremeyN Member

NO when I meant TmpgEnc Plus, I meant that thats the program that I am using. any time I take lets say a Star Trek Episode which is probably 43 mins when I begin to start in tmpgenc near the end it shows you how big the file will be if you leave it at the bit rate it sets. SO when I adjust it to fit on 1 cd which I should be able to do. the bit rate as crappy I should be able to have a SVCD bit RAte of 1950 constant or Varible Avg. THe program seems to not understand Xvid. Regular divx shows work.

4. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Well, I too have TMPGenc Plus 2.5 and I never had such things. TMPGenc never lets you set a 'bitrate' and the 'rule' is what I said, I mean, a VCD MPG should be about 400 megs large for a movie 40' long.
    TMPGenc only 'shows' the frames e.g. 0/65000 for a video 65000 frames long (which means, for a NTSC - 23.976 fps - movie that it is 2700 seconds, or about 45'). If you start the Project Wizard (file-->Project Wizard, or CTRL+W) what does it say?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2004
  5. JeremeyN

JeremeyN Member

Heres my problem I have it narrowed down a bit. THis only happens with Xvid I belive. So when I use the wizard and select NTSC SVCD wich allows 45mins 1950kbps Varible bitrate. When I open up a 45 min episode avi(Xvid) file and as I get to the Bit Rate settings Step 4/5 in the wizard; it says the file is 105 mins and 40 seconds? which is incorect thats why it the project file is to big. THe question is why is TMPGENC Plus doing this to the xvid file. do you think it could be something wrong with the xvid codec?

6. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

No, this happens to me even with a DivX video. The problem is the movie length and the SVCD format which asks for a bitrate. I never make SVCDs, because the VCD quality depends mainly on the goodness of the .AVI compression used (codec and compression method applied for that codec), so I don't know this feature.
    But the ' rule of thumb 'is "approximately 35' of video can stay on a 650 MB CD-R". Apart from the bitrate considerations the problem lie in the SVCD format. Maybe you should convert the movie into a VCD. More, maybe, if the sum of 2 series episodes do not exceed 80', you can put TWO episodes per CD!
    Think about this.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2004
  7. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

the reason tmpg is overestimating the file your trying to convert is because tmpgenc doesnt handle compressed audio very well at all. so it sounds like your avi has a mp3/ac3 audio stream, that audio is going to have to be converted to wav with virtualdub. in vdub goto the audio tab and select 'full processing mode', then goto the file tab and select 'sav WAV', all this does is make an uncompressed wav copy of the audio from the avi which tmpgenc will now recognise. now open the avi in tmpgenc but use the wav file u made with vdub as your audio source, tmpgenc will now show the file length accuratly, you shouldnt have any dramas after that.

get virtualdub here: http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_tools/virtualdub.cfm
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    Snoogins -Jay-[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2004