1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TMPGenc Problem, please help

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by -Polaris-, Jan 25, 2004.

1. -Polaris-

-Polaris- Member

The program will begin to analyze my .avi file to create the audio and video file, but then after a little while (usually before 10% done) it crashes with some fatal error thing... anyone have this happen to them?

2. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya,

Invariably it is because the input file (AVI) is corrupt in some way.

Does it happen at EXACTLY THE SAME PLACE each time you try it?

Have Fun...

3. -Polaris-

-Polaris- Member

no I just let it run for a while and it failed at 50% this time on the same file... the file's not corrupt. ugh this sucks

4. drchips

drchips Active member

OK,

Another possibility:

Increase the priority of the DirectShow Multimedia plug-in to a value of 2.

Try the AVI again.

Have Fun...

5. -Polaris-

-Polaris- Member

bah I tried that, still doesn't work... I get the message that tells you the program has experienced a program and must close, but it keeps decoding. I let it go like that and it gets to 50% and just dies. Could it be my anti virus software or something?

6. drchips

drchips Active member

Summat really wrong there.

Try un-installing, restarting, then re-install.

I have only ever had TMPGEnc crash when something was wrong with an input file OR faulty system (hard-drive corrupting data one time).

7. -Polaris-

-Polaris- Member

8. drchips

drchips Active member

The only things different in the way you and I do it SEEM to be:
    you use NTSC, I use PAL (mostly)
    you output ES(Video+Audio), I output System(Video+Audio)
    you use XP, I use Windows 2000 Pro

As you are doing a 2-pass VBR, and the error is happening on the first pass (reading the source file), it would tend to implicate the AVI file.

Does it crash with any other file?
    (NOTE: once TMPGEnc has crashed a re-boot is quite often needed to ensure proper program load)

Are you using the Project Wizard?

Have Fun...

9. gfh

gfh Member

I'm having the same problem. I'm accepting all the defaults when trying to encode AVIs made with Windows Movie Maker 2. Tmpgenc croaks at various points in the encoding process, with any of the AVI files. I have a Celeron CPU. Is that the real issue here, that this program doesn't work well with non-Pentium cpus?

10. rathead

rathead Member

Im having a similar problem, but im trying to convert using Microsoft Movie Maker 2. When trying to convert my Project to a video file, its stops at around 10%, and says it needs to close.

11. jp1

jp1 Member

I've had the same problems, but I found that, eventually, tmpgenc will work. I've had those errors within the 10% timeframe and the 50% lockup problem repeatedly with multiple avi's; I reboot, end all non-essential tasks, and start up tmpgenc. I'm still not convinced that this makes any difference...sometimes it works the first time, sometimes it works the 15th. It's completely unpredictable, and I wish someone could give some fresh ideas here.

12. gfh

gfh Member

I finally gave up beating my head against the wall with Tmpgenc. It would die unpredictably. When I watched it blow up just sitting there doing nothing before I even turned it loose on an encode, I decided it was way too flaky for me. Too bad, too, because while it worked it looked pretty good. It's the most unstable program I have ever seen. I eventually settled on Cinema Craft Basic. It works good and never, ever blows up.

13. jp1

jp1 Member

gfh, I'll give Cinema Craft Basic a try...is there anything special I need to know about it that you can think of? If the finished product comes out as nicely as with tmpgenc (whenever it finally decides to work), then I'm all over it.