1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tmpgenc problems - Keeps dissapearing!

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by Lizzy73, Jul 23, 2003.

1. Lizzy73

Lizzy73 Member

I have been trying to change and avi film into an mpeg on Tmpgenc but about 10 mins into it the whole thing dissapears. i have tried doing it again on several occasions but it always does it at the same point. can anyone help me, im lost now, ive tried putting directx on higher priority but to no avail either.
    Help!

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

1. Is the process still there in the background? If so, how muc proc. does it use?
    2. The AVI file you have, does it have any corruption? Sometimes correuption may cause TMPGEnc to crash
    3. Check this out: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/40101

3. Lizzy73

Lizzy73 Member

What do you mean by the process in the background? what actually happens is it gets about 10 mins into changing it from avi to mpeg and then the entire thing just dissapears off my screen, so it all gone and i have to start Tmpgenc again to start it up all over.

4. TehParts

TehParts Member

"What do you mean by the process in the background?"

Pretty sure he means, When it crashes and you push CTRL ALT DELETE and look at your process list (if you have XP, NT or whatever) is TMPGEnc.exe or whichever the process is, still running? Or is it gone completely?

5. Lizzy73

Lizzy73 Member

Its gone completely

6. bm94bd

bm94bd Member

I've sorted through lots of problems with tmpgenc in the past and I know I've experienced this one...just not sure which suggestion fixed it. Well, here's some:
    1) Try downloading a different version of the program. I'm using 2.511.51.160 without mpeg2 added decoder (ie free) and I haven't had any problems in a while.
    2)As silly as it sounds, try moving the whole folder to another location on your hard drive. (ie, mine is now in C:\Program Files\TMPGEnc-2.511.51.160). I found that after installing, removing reinstalling a billion (or so) different versions of the program, all into the same folder- it had some adverse effects?
    3) There's a discussion about tmpgenc closing prematurely at: http://www.dvdrhelp.com/forum/archive/t148048.html Not sure how much help it will be, but at least you won't feel alone with your problem
    4)Try to change the directshow codec reader priority settings in TMPGEnc under Options->Environmental settings->VFAPI plug-in and right click on the DirectShow Multimedia File Reader and increase the priority to 1 or 2 or to the top of plugin-list
    5)Try to select just a portion of the video to encode. And try try well past the spot that it seems to crash at. To rule out the possiblity of a glitch in the video/audio.
    6)Do the same with another avi file to again troubleshoot the possiblity of a glitch in the video/audio
    7)Try to encode the video without the audio portion as audio is notorious for having a snap crackle or pop in it which might "offend" Tmpgenc enough to crash-
    This has an explanation-Open Tmpgenc and cancel the wizard. Under the "stream type" heading in the bottom right corner, press load, and select your normal template. Then change the stream type to system (video only) Then press save, and name it something you'll remember. Start the project wizard again (under file) and select your new template on the side. You'll notice that the description of the template on the right changes under audio info: to show that no audio will be encoded. Then go along like normal.
    8)Along those lines, if the audio seems at fault, try a third party audio encoder (toolame seems the standard)
    9)If you're running xp or me or an os with the system restore option, restore back before you experienced this problem (assuming you used to be able to encode videos fine??) then uninstall both tmpgenc (or just delete it if you didn't get the version which installs through windows installer and shows up in your add/remove options), and remove any codec programs (ie Nimo's Packs, etc)-
    Let us know how it goes

7. Lizzy73

Lizzy73 Member

Thank you, I'll give all those ideas a go and see what happens. :)