1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TMPGenc setting for correct aspect ratio

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by NJJackals, Oct 23, 2004.

1. NJJackals

NJJackals Member

I'm having trouble getting the aspect ratio to look right when converting avi to mpeg. I wish to maintain the same aspect ratio in order to watch the dvd on my widescreen television. I've searched and found a few threads which have given me some ideas but still having some issues. Can anyone help? Here are relevent details on my avi

23.976 fps (NTSC)
    560x240 (2.21:1)

1) Do I select NTSC or NTSC 16:9 when the wizard starts?

2) select 1:1 source aspect ratio or 16:9 display?

3) For video arrange method do I select Full screen(keep aspect ratio) or somethying else? Should I try Center (custom size) 720x308?

What else am I missing?

-NJJ

2. NJJackals

NJJackals Member

anyone?

3. yazer

yazer Member

I am having the same problems too.. The problem is also that DVD players must have the DVD video in default sizes, or it may not work or seem odd.
    I am using TMPGenc Xpress... I noticed that the input settings do not affect the output resolution.. Is there a way to add more of the black border to keep the correct aspect ratio?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]YaZer[/small]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2004
  4. Pommie72

Pommie72 Guest

You could try using cucusoft Video convertor AVI to DVD (4.9 is the latest version). if your dvd is set for widescreen 16:9 will distort the image. With this software you can specify to keep the aspect ratio intact of the original, this will add the black border creating the orignal screen size for your specified output whether it be NTSC or Pal. You should then be able to import the mpeg2 into any authoring software.

5. shiroh

shiroh Guest

if you use 16:9 tag it will be distorted as said by pommie.
    since the video is already resized to 1:1 you can encode it as 4:3 with letterbox.
    why ? cause resizing vertically won't do much good quality wise.

if you still want to use 16:9, you can just resize the video to 720x480

6. yazer

yazer Member

I downloaded cucusoft avi to DVD and I will tell you the results.. I tried it once, but it produce a 300+ resolution... I wanted to change it to Full Screem PAL or NTSC, but I didn't find the option..
    I will fill you in if I found it.

7. jg461

jg461 Member

The solution - strange as it may seem is to set the source video size to 16:9 625 Line (PAL) and select full screen (keep aspect ratio). I did this with TMPGEnc and it worked fine. strange.

8. jg461

jg461 Member

sorry, correction - using the setting above previewed well but the final video was not the same aspect ratio. i tried some others and the one that looks best (although, still not perfect) was 4:3 (PAL 704x576) for the source video. it will not preview correctly but the end result is pretty close, you can't see the difference. again, make sure to tell TMPGEnc to maintain aspect ratio. hope that helped.

9. yazer

yazer Member

same thing here.. I tried cucusoft proggy and i got an excellent preview, but a very bad output!

10. JPSac

JPSac Member

I used TMPEnc and under the Settings->Advanced tab I set:

Source Aspect Ratio: 1:1(VGA)
    Video Arrange Method: fullscreen (keep aspect ratio)

and it solved the problem for me (for NTSC). I hope this helps.