1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TMPGenc snags

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by boristhe, Mar 30, 2005.

1. boristhe

boristhe Member

When I am encoding avi's to mpeg's the mpeg 'snags' when playing. This can be seen best when there is something moving sideways across the screen. It kind of skips a little, then continues and skips again.
    This happens also with Canopus and MainConcept.
    Can someone enlighten me cos this problem got me round the bend!

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Encode at a higher bitrate, with a higher motion search precision setting, 2 pass VBR.

3. boristhe

boristhe Member

I tried it right up to 9000 bitrate. It still does the same thing.
    I'm flummoxed here.

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

This Could have something to do with Interlaceing...

Interlaced Video will allways Look Jumpy when viewed on a PC because PC monitors are not meant for Displaying Interlaced Video...

If you are going to View Mpeg files on your PC you should use a software DVD Player because it will deinterlace on playback which will remoove the Interlace artofacts and give you a Truer representation of How the Video will look when Viewed on your TV set....

Also useing the wrong Field order can also cause the Video to Look Jumpy ..

Also Encodeing to Mpeg useing a different Frame Rate than the Source file Can also Cause Jumpy playback as some encoders are not very good at frame Rate conversions....

Cheers

5. boristhe

boristhe Member

OK I have this problem with all files, both NTSC that I am convertig to PAL, and those that are PAL already.
    They are not interlaced, and I have tried both CB and 1 and 2 pass VBR and still I have the same problem.
    I have tried a bitrate of up to 9000 which is the max for DVD files and nothing I try seems to have any effect.
    When the movie pans it's as if it sticks on every 100th frame, then starts again.
    You can only see the effect when the movie is panning hard, but it is so off putting.
    Is there any more suggestions? (Not Canopus cos the quality just isn't there and it can't output to a specific file size which sometimes I want to do.)

6. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Huh? Take a look at Canopus again. Try clicking on the Advanced buttons.