1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TMPGEnc Sound Problem

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by pnf382, Jan 4, 2005.

1. pnf382

pnf382 Member

If you play the outputted mp2 file that TMPGEnc creates when you convert the AVI to MPEG-2 video for DVD be playable in Windows Media player? When I try to play it, it has so sound, however it still plays.

This may reflect the problem I'm having, when I play the movie I burnt following the guide on the site, it didn't have sound, however the image was fine.

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

3. pnf382

pnf382 Member

Yeah, I tried it again with a different AVI and the exact same thing happend. GRRR! Any ideas?

4. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

simple...dont use WMP to playback...well anything, its a pile of crap, use a software dvd player like powerdvd or windvd for all mpeg2 files and you'll never go back to shitty WMP. ive tried to play a few svcds/dvds with WMP and there was no sound, loaded powerdvd and viola, tmpgenc even states in the wizard that you'll need a software dvd player to playback the converted file properly, so give that a go first.

now with all that being said it may be that you havent encoded the file properly with tmpgenc therefore you have no sound on the output. tmpgenc does not like compressed audio, it will either produce an out of sync video or video with no sound at all if it doesnt like the audio format your feeding it. so what you'll have to do is decompress the audio of the avi to WAV. you can do this with virtualdub, first load your avi into virtualdub then goto the audio tab and select 'full processing mode', then goto>>>file>>Save WAV...>>>give the wav output a name then just let it do its job. now this will create a separate wav audio file that tmpgenc can now recognise and encode properly, just load the video as you normally would in tmpgenc and for the audio select the new wav file that virtualdub has created and thats it, let it encode and your mpeg2 file will now have sound but i stress this again DO NOT use WMP to playback the file.

get virtualdub here:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/dawnload.cfm?mirror=0&software_id=149

goodluck

5. pnf382

pnf382 Member

I'm not using WMP to play the actual DVD, im just using it to play the sound file (mp2). I've used Itunes also and others but there is no sound. I use PowerDVD to play the DVDs.

Ill try Virtual Dub but wouldn't the WAV file be huge? I'd have to compromise video quality for sound, wouldn't I ?

6. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

ok i see

the decompressed wav file will be quite big yes, but it doesnt matter how large the audio is, it just depends on how long it is because when you convert the file to mp2 you are actaully compressing the audio again(yes mp2 is still a compressed format). so say the wav file you produce with vdub is 800-900mb, when you encode with tmpgenc the audio will drop to nearly 1/4 of its size when compared to the original wav file, i dont have the exact figures on how many MB's one minute of dvd mp2 audio is, but i know 1 minute of a standard compliant vcd video+audio(audio=mp2 224kb/s) equals about 10mb, so a dvd with mp2 audio at 384kb/s cant be far off that.

so to answer your question in short: no you wont have to worry about the wav file being huge, its just the same as having the original audio from the avi(output file size i mean) but now its in a format that tmpgenc can recognise properly.

sorry that i didnt make it completely clear but its late here and my brain hurts :p.

PeAcE