1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TMPGEnc stops encoding after a point

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by krehman, Apr 30, 2005.

1. krehman

krehman Member

I am trying to convert a joined avi file to m2v using TMPGEnc after reading the guides offered on this site. The problem is TMPGEnc stops encoding after 50 percent and gives the following message.
    Invalid pointer operation.
    Can anyone help me fix this problem

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

This error is Most Likely caused from a Bad Join between files from when you Joined the 2 AVI files together....

I suggest that you use something like Virtual-Dub to Join your 2 Files together and then encode them in Tmpgenc or Encode the 2 AVI files seperately to the Same Format and then use Tmpgenc"s "Merge & Cut" feature to Join the 2 Mpeg files together.....

3. krehman

krehman Member

thanks for the suggestion.
    the biggest problems i face in TMPGEnc is what settings should i put while encoding to a high quality mpeg file. i've tried following guides, but i must admit, i am not being able to fully understand the different type of settings that comprise a high quality video encoding.

4. krehman

krehman Member

well i think the problem i mentioned earlier with TMPGEnc is to do with something else. I have used the setting of 2 pass encoding while converting a DivX movie to mpeg2. That means the first 50 percent is the analyzing part only. When the program really starts to encode, that's where it stops, and gives me "invalid pointer operation" error. Can someone suggest a better program than TMPGEnc for encoding a better quality DVD video. I have tried vso. It is pretty good, but in this particular video I'm trying to convert, the audio happens to be out of sync with vsowhereas When I play the source avi in windows media player. audio is fine.
    Any help is appreciated. thanks

5. krehman

krehman Member

well i think the problem i mentioned earlier with TMPGEnc is to do with something else. I have used the setting of 2 pass encoding while converting a DivX movie to mpeg2. That means the first 50 percent is the analyzing part only. When the program really starts to encode, that's where it stops, and gives me "invalid pointer operation" error. Can someone suggest a better program than TMPGEnc for encoding a better quality DVD video. I have tried vso. It is pretty good, but in this particular video I'm trying to convert, the audio happens to be out of sync with vsowhereas When I play the source avi in windows media player. audio is fine.
    Any help is appreciated. thanks

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

Don"t use the 2 Pass encode in Tmpgenc because it doesn"t really Give any real Quality Improvement over say the "CQ(Constant Quality)" encodeing Mode....

Also your Out of Sync audio problem could be because the audio in your AVI file Might be VBR MP3 in which case the audio should be decompressed first before encodeing to Mpeg-2 as to avoid any Sync Problems....

If you really want to try a Different encoder then I can only suggest a few because overall there are only a Small Handfull of Professinal Quality Mpeg encoder on the Market and all others are Mostly suited to Consumer use which generally doesn"t produce very good Quality...

These are the Only encoders i would recomend:

Tmpgenc Pluss/Express
    Canopus Procoder/Express
    MainConcept Encoder
    CinemaCraft Encoder SP/Basic

Cheers

7. krehman

krehman Member

thanks minion. i really appreciate valuable advice