1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

to any other newbies out there i hav a gud guide

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mrperry05, Aug 22, 2004.

1. mrperry05

mrperry05 Guest

first of all, download DVDshrink (from this site)its free, then either buy nero or cloneDVD2 i av both but personally prefer nero as it does CDs aswell, but if u don't want to break the bank download DVDecyrpter another very gud bit of software. refering back to nero, this works hand in hand with shrink so perfect for newbies. to make things easier i wud reccomend buying a dvd rom aswel as a dvdrw so u can let it run with no interuptions. so stick in your dvd lets say BOURNE SUPREMACY and then boot up DVD shrink(hopefully u won't have to change any settings) but if u do contact someone more experienced with those sort of problems as non have occured on my computer. then click on the icon saying open disk then an box should come up with the nero flame click on that then it should zoom through the analysis (if you don't have nero save it to the hard disk folder) shrink should take about 45 mins 1hr max. during this stick your DVD-r in to the DVDrw drive of you have nero leave it to run but if you don't return in about 45 mins to see how far it has got. depending on your software this should be easy ,and personaly i prefer verbatim as they are the most reliable disk in my opinion hope this helped

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Are you trying to confuse our newbies? How about newbies start with these guides:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd9_to_dvdr_with_dvd_shrink.cfm
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/small_dvd_2_dvdr.cfm
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/burning_dvd_with_nero.cfm

Now for your lil guide:
    If your going to use an example, don't use one that is considered piracy. The Bourne Supremecy is still in the theaters.

Huh? When you open Shrink and click open disk ... a window opens so you can select the source drive.

Yes, Shrink does go through a quick analysis

What about the steps in between? Like which audio selections, quality settings, etc ...? And what about burning with DVD Decrypter if you don't have Nero? <- in that case you'll want to select ISO as the output.

This is really dependent on they pc specs, and the settings in Shrink your using. Someone doing a dvd-9 using deep analysis and the extra quality enhancements might think something is wrong if the process takes longer than an hour.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Dell 8250, Pentium 4 2.80GHz
    1.5 GB RDRAM, 450GB HD
    NEC 2510A, Sony DDU-1612 DVD-ROM
    XP Pro, ATI All-In-Wonder 9000 Pro[/small]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2004
  3. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Hey flip, here's a little guide I wrote, I hope it meets with your approval ;)

1-open shrink

2-click on open disc, then choose your source video(disc)from your drive/ if you're using files on your HD then click on open files and choose your folder with your source video files.

3-wait for shrink to analyze(about a minute) and the new screen will come up

4-here you can go into extras by clicking on the + mark.

5-You can change compression on each or substitute still image for each until done. Each can be previewed in the preview window below.

5a- you can raise compresssion or substitute a still image on all extras at once before you hit the + mark if so desired. By using the still image you maintain a working menu.

6-if you only want the movie and don't care about a menu, hit re-author, when screen comes up click and drag anything from the right side to the left side that you want to keep and then you will go to set up the analyze and burn features.

7-To set up burn w/nero click on edit > preferences > fileI/O > enable burn with nero.

Also here you can go to stream selections and choose english from both drop down menus, this will eliminate foreign audio tracks that can take up quite a bit of space.

You also pick your DVD size here from the drop down menu. You can also choose custom and type in your size(I recommend 4300 to prevent burning to the edge). I would also recommend default for all other settings in the preferences window.

8-hit backup

9-under target device choose either file to your HD,or your burner. If you wish to burn with decrypter instead of nero, choose iso image file and burn with decrypter

10-choose your temporary folder/ shrink will create this or you can make one(before you start) and name it and put it where you can find it.

11- under quality settings(I use this if it's over 10% compression,you must make your own choices here, this will take much longer, but is worth every minute!)check deep analysis and adaptive error compensation. Some say extra smoothness delivers the best quality.

12-hit OK and come back to a finished DVD, leave your PC alone, do not do anything on it while performing backup. No multitasking!

I would add that leave menu alone if you want a working menu, and leave movie alone unless there are 2 movie titles, then pick the one you want(fullscreen or widescreen)and substitute a still image for the other one.

Hope this helps

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]..Dell Media4600, XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,512MB,280HDw/8MB,17" flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated 5.1 audio, HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn SO[/small]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2004
  4. Veblin

Veblin Active member

5. bigorange

bigorange Active member

LOL, no fair, Denis had a lot more time. :)

6. msfoxyuk

msfoxyuk Member

I followed mrperry05's message as i was struggling

(signature removed by admin)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2004
  7. bigorange

bigorange Active member

WOW! Gud God!

Are you busy for the rest of your life?

[​IMG]
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]..Dell Media4600, XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,512MB,280HDw/8MB,17" flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated 5.1 audio, HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn SO[/small]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2004
  8. Ketola

Ketola Turned ninja Staff Member

msfoxyuk, mrperry05

You were already banned once. No need to join again. Thank you.

9. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

awwwwww for crying outloud,I musta missed a x rated gif.
    :((
    very gud guides guys(tongue twister)

[​IMG]

10. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Jim, did you ever, I think I proposed, sigh....

It was guuuuuuud!

11. michigan

michigan Guest

It doesn't meet with my approval! Wheres my additions I feel left out now :( Just kidding BigO the more Newbie Guides the better.

very gud guides guys(tongue twister), great balls of fire!!

[bold] msfoxyuk, mrperry05

You were already banned once. No need to join again. Thank you.[/bold]

a little confused on our gender huh?

12. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I sure did like foxyuk's gif, sigh!

@michigan

Actually I think I left this guide before you butchered my other one. LOL

Hey, come to think of it I wrote recode and nero vision express guides too.
    go edit boy, go now! goood boy, here's a biscuit. lol

BTW, perry and foxyuk weren't one and the same were they? Please say no, oh God, PLEASE say NO!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2004
  13. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

*edit* I wish I had an excuse for the nonsensical reply I wrote but I'm not drunk, not high, and I've been taking my meds so I'll just go lie down and think about what Jesus would've wrote....................
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    "And there we saw the giants...And we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight." Numbers 13:33
    http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rephaim[/small]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2004
  14. datageek

datageek Member

mrperry

Good thing there are other intellignet guides available.