1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To backup or not to backup, that is the question...

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by turkey, Apr 5, 2005.

1. turkey

turkey Regular member

i've got a couple of really good original analog video capture files. i captured directly to DV-avi but i would not want to have to recapture again. unfortunately, they are taking up a lot of HD space...

i have cleaned them up and encoded them to mpeg2 (.m2v with CCE), but i know they could probably use more filtering, like an "undot" or something. however, i don't have time to do this right now if i were to use the originals, and i need to free up the HD space. can i count on being able to re-filter the mpegs somehow at some later point??? it's not really feasable to backup the original files (3x 25GB)....

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Are you sure you used a codec for AVI compression? That huge size looks like an uncompressed AVI's.

3. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

I agree. A full DV tape should only amount to ~13GB AVI.

4. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Therefore, you should either caputure in compressed AVI (if you can) or keep the camera as 'hard disk' connecting it to your PC with some specific cables and an application (like Windows Hyperterminal) able to connect them.

5. turkey

turkey Regular member

Ok sorry, i need to clarify. i used Mainconcept MPEG Encoder to capture analog (VCR) input directly to avi using the DV Video codec. so my capture files are in DV-avi, however, no camera was involved so i do not have a DV tape that can serve as a back up. this also is why the files size is larger than normal, each file is 2+ hours of DV video. again, sorry about the confusion there...

my big question is whether i could ever try to re-filter the mpeg encoded files that i produced from these original DV-avi files??? i can backup the the mpegs but i can't feasibly backup the originals...

6. turkey

turkey Regular member

i have heard mention that Womble Mpeg Video Wizard can apply filters to mpeg files. does anyone have experience doing this??

if i was sure enough that i could go back at some point and clean up the mpegs then i could delete the original DV-avi files without worry...

are there any other methods to clean up pre-encoded mpegs???