1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To good to be true......

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by roseskym, Apr 12, 2005.

1. roseskym

roseskym Member

I have been sent to this forum for some advice and hopefully a solution.
    In a nutshell.... got a new computer and backed up a movie that plays in computer, stand alone player and ps2 but Not in the xbox.(previous computer backed up readable discs for the xbox).
    I am still using shrink then a burning programme (have used record now,nero and decrypter with no xbox success)
    My media has not changed from what I was using on old computer dvd+r ritek R03 (same spindle )
    So I presume by process of elimination it must be the new burner
    Nec DVD RW ND-3500AG.
    Any ideas for overcoming this problem would be appreciated.
    Thank you.

2. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

You need to burn the movie to a dvd-r so the Xbox could read it. I have a Samsung drive it doesn't read dvd+r only -r. Obviously your movie is playing in everything except the Xbox so use a -r disk and it should solve your media issue.

3. punqewe

punqewe Active member

samsungs play +r's

END OF STORY

(it's a dye question,not a media question)

4. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

Not every Samsung.....at least mine don't:)) I agree with you about the dye issue as opposed to a media issue. Personally, I've used -r media to backup a ton of games. He's having problems with +R media so he should just switch to -r that's all. Peace

Last edited: Apr 13, 2005
  5. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

The problem is with your burner. What's probably happened is that your current burner doesn't change the +R format to DVD-ROM.

6. Ketola

Ketola Turned ninja Staff Member

Make sure you have the latest firmware in your drive. New firmware versions add support for new media types and increase the compatibility of the burnt discs.

http://support.necsam.com/oem/downloads/flashfirmware/readme.asp?ID=1

At the time of writing the latest version is FW 2.19.

If you need the RPC1 firmware, you can obtain it at:

http://tdb.rpc1.org/#ND3500A

If you are not familiar with the procedure of updating the drive firmware, read through the article at Nec homepage (url above). If after reading the document you feel uncomfortable with the procedure contact a professional to carry out the update. You can most definitely break your drive in the process.

Hope that helps.

7. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

Hmmm, very interesting Quad! I never thought of that one before.

8. joschez

joschez Regular member

Nice!

9. roseskym

roseskym Member

Thank you for firmware suggestion, I was game enough to follow the step by step instructions from nec, but alas I got as far as step 8 when "target nec.... is not found correctly" popped up.I then tried to follow the next steps to confirm current firmware but as i clicked ok the entire window shut and I was unable to go next step.According to nec this would happen if the firmware does not meet the update requirements.What that means I have no idea.
    Also tried yelling abuse at the computer and that didn't help either.

10. punqewe

punqewe Active member

my old NEC-1100a dvd burner never had any problems even with the firmware that it had out of the box.....why would a newer version have problems of the firmware type?

11. roseskym

roseskym Member

I'm not sure why that would be, all Im doing is following advice trying to fix a issue I had and I figured I better respond and let the people who take the time to put suggestions forward know what happened when I tried thier advice.

12. DynatyxXx

DynatyxXx Regular member

Well...hmm...hamm...aham...oh yeah......lemme think....well....should I say it or should I not say it....well I choose NOT to say it....you ever thought of the settings you're burning the game with....and btw. you got a nice piece of drive there....1 more thing...not all Samsungs can play DVD+R...

Last edited: Apr 16, 2005
  13. punqewe

punqewe Active member

did anyone even ask him what method he was using to burn the said game? I doubt it,but you all sure got to jumping to conclusions. None knows what game it is or if it was backed up from an original or if it was a downloaded copy that MIGHT need a patch of some sort. But don't worry people.....you can still get mad at everyone...I'll ask.

@roseskym-what are you using to burn the game with...and is it a backup or a downloaded game. AND what game is it?

14. DynatyxXx

DynatyxXx Regular member

well said punqewe

15. roseskym

roseskym Member

I think anyone else who bothers to resopnd to this thread should read my original post. I thought I had explained myself quite clearly as to the problem I am encountering and what my thoughts were.....but knock yourselves out if you want to keep raving on.

16. punqewe

punqewe Active member

you didn't answer my question.

17. roseskym

roseskym Member

mmmm some members dont seem to have patience with learners. I know its not a huge issue but to me being able to do something on a very old computer and not being able to achieve the same results on a brand new computer annoys me.

18. roseskym

roseskym Member

in answer to your question punqewe its not a game I refer you back to my original post. Dvd-R for newbies suggested I try this forum.

19. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

Like I said, your burner probably isn't converting the DVD+R format to DVD-ROM. There may be a option for your burner to convert the DVD+R to DVD-ROM (mine's automatically does it, but yours may not). If you can't get it to work, try some dvd-r.

20. roseskym

roseskym Member

I would like to use -discs but unfortunately the stand alone dvd player plays +discs only lol catch 22.
    Quadratic where do I find the option to try and convert +r to rom I looked in nero info tool and all boxes are checked except dvd ram and mount rainer.