1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To label o not to label ?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by darkcast, Apr 26, 2005.

1. darkcast

darkcast Member

Do DVD labels affect the DVD compatibility in DVD players? And if it does why ?

2. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

most would say not! as it spins it out of true!

but you could use printable discs?

3. OU812Ono

OU812Ono Regular member

Never heard anything good about labels myself. I always stick with the trusty old Sharpie.

4. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

yep, definitly sharpie or printer, not stick on labels

5. camstuf

camstuf Guest

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2005
  6. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Sharpies work fine for me, labels will make your DVD reader, writer or player spin off balance not only that but you risk them getting jammed up inside if they come loose.

7. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

whats a SHARPIE ?

8. sui-cyco

sui-cyco Regular member

labels affect the tint of the ink on the disc more than any thing else.making some disc hard to read.i put labels on verb dvd+r and they play most of the time but can cause problems sometimes.i use on my sony dvd+r and have no problems at all.the difference being,the verbs have a lite purple tint while the sonys have a blue-purple tint.making the lite purple tint darker by putting on the label can make the disc harder to read while the blue-purple tint is already dark to begin with,so labels dont affect them.if you copied to the dvdr properly and apply the label properly there should be minimal problems if any.i use memorex labels and havent had one even remotely peel off or jam in player or had a dvd spin off balance(dont know what those guys are talking about).

dont forget to clean your lens too.labels do make discs harder to read but they work alot of the times anyway.

9. OU812Ono

OU812Ono Regular member

If your serious Rotary

[​IMG]

10. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

yes indeed, most of the time i talk poo...........

and a sharpie is a pen! thx OU812Ono,

i never write on discs either, they may spontaneously combust....

Last edited: Apr 27, 2005
  11. forkndave

forkndave Member

This is what labels do. The absolutely horrible scan is with a Memorex label that was put on with an applicator. It played fine initially. This is after the disc was several mponths old. The other scan is rhe same disc after the label was removed. I don't believe the color of the dye has anything to do with it. It is the microscopic wobble that the label causes.The laser has a problem with a target that moves around.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2005
  12. baabaa

baabaa Active member

I wonder whether there is a gadget available that can re-balance a disc...........like the machine that balances wheels on cars, add a weight to a certain spot and bingo..................

That would increase label sales I would presume.......LOL

13. arniebear

arniebear Active member

@forkndave

Thank you for the graphic disk scan, I thought I was going crazy, with my post after reading sui-cyco's. My library puts these clear sticky labels on their disks and they are always pealing at the edges, and my dvd player has a whole lot of trouble with them.

14. movies27

movies27 Regular member

I wish there was something we could use besides a sharpie or wobbly labels...my handwriting isnt all that good..

15. sui-cyco

sui-cyco Regular member

you probanly have cheap labels or dont know how to put a label on properly.im not lying to you i havent had not one even remotely peel.now the question remains how long have you had the labels on before they started to peel.

and how exactly does that graph prove that it is the BALANCE of the disc that causes the read errors.does that program actually test the BALANCE of a disc?i think you would need sensors installed on your drive to test something like that.correct me if im wrong

yes labels can cause reading problems period.but some dvdr can handle the infringment is what im saying and its not the freaking balance.if your dvd is wobbling you need to check the bearings on your dvd player spindle.unless you are claiming that one side of a label is so much heavier than the other side to cause it to be off balance enough to cause it to wobble.its just a thin peice of paper that is suppose to be affixed to the disc proportionatly.

16. movies27

movies27 Regular member

Well i used to use cd stomper but after i heard all of the problems associated with labels i decided to use a sharpie..it's not professional but it works.My player will play the 1's with labels its just some of my friend players cant read them to well so thats why i just dont bother with them.

17. forkndave

forkndave Member

The labels were Memorex, which is the brand that you say you use. They were put on with a Memorex applicator. They were not peeling off. The K Probe scans are just to illustrate what a label can do. These are both the same disc. I used to label all of my DVDs. I threw tons of them away not realising what the problem was. Every DVD that I had that skipped or wouldn't play was good after I removed the label. Incidenrally, they aren't easy ro get off without damaging the disc. It's time consuming. You go ahead and use all the labels that you want, but experience over the last couple of years has told me not to. If they work for you, fine. I have since gone to printable DVDs and no more of those problems.

Dave

18. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Nice article on the care of dvds, it discusses the use of labels.

http://www.backupcritic.com/faq/dvd-care.html

From the article

Last edited: Apr 28, 2005
  19. cimerron

cimerron Guest

Ive never had a problem with a sharpie. never skips.

20. sui-cyco

sui-cyco Regular member

like i said labels cause difficulty reading,period.but if you fine tune your burn settings to accomodate the labels and apply them properly you can get them to work for you.and some dvds handle labels better than others.and i do agree that is a pain in the ass when a dvd messes up because it has a label on them.thats why i only put labels on certain brands of dvds.

well some people were saying it was the balance of the disc with the labels on that caused the problems.thats why i asked if your program could prove the balance caused the problems.i dont think the disc balance is the problem with labels.