1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To label o not to label ?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by darkcast, Apr 26, 2005.

1. megabyte2

megabyte2 Guest

Jerry I dont know about the label making the disk hoter. It also gets hotter when it trys to access a specific sector on the disk alot such as when you have dirt or finger prints on it as it scans the sector many many times. I have not noticed any warm disks with or without labels in fact mine are quite cool to the touch (room temperature) however from electronics I know that dust is an insulator and I suggest if you have hot disks you have a problem with a dirty drive or heat buildup from your components in your computers backing up into the massive space of the DVD drive. Heat will travel to any cooler area typically rising above the heat source the DVD drive is above the motherboard on a laptop and the same is basically true in a tower unit with the drives being higher than the motherboard. I never run sides to my towers and thus never have a heat related problem.

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

The information about labels absorbing heat was verified by several members on here quite a while back. Once the labels were removed they didn't get as hot and played normal. Like I stated before, it really doesn't matter what the exact cause is, either way labels cause many playback problems and for most burned dvds they shouldn't be used. If someone wants to chance the label usage it's fine by me. They just need to be aware of the possible playback issues.

Jerry

3. baabaa

baabaa Active member

A very politically correct statement there jerry.............I agree...........

4. sui-cyco

sui-cyco Regular member

hey dont forget the new lightscribe technology.you need a lightscribe capable drive but if your willing to buy a new printer to print on disc then you might think about lightscribing.ive seen a hp lightscribe 16x dl dvdrw for $99 at walmart and the discs run $12 for a 10pk.verbatim is the only company ive seen make disc for lightsribing but im sure other companies will follow suit if the idea catches on.

for those who dont know what lightscribe is,it is a drive that is capable of "scribing" graphics on a disc with its laser.the discs have to be made for lightscribing(you cant use ordinary discs).

5. camstuf

camstuf Guest

@sui-cyco
    Is that the CD/DVD burner that also prints laser images on the face of the CD/DVD? How do the iamages look, like normal pics or what? Are the disks the same as the printable ones like for the Epson R200?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2005
  6. nobadnews

nobadnews Member

I too have had some probs with labels. I noticed some of you were discussing "removing" the labels. Can someone please explain the safest way to do this?

Thanks

7. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

There is a citrus base product at most stores called GOO GONE. Apply enough to the label to wet it good and let it soak for 5-10 minutes. It should pull right off. If it seems to still be stuck, apply extra and let it soak a while longer. It won't hurt plastic. After the label and glue are off try cleaning with rubbing alcohol and a soft cloth. This is for the paper labels, the plastic type will be harder to remove since the GOO GONE won't soak in as easy.

Jerry

Last edited: May 5, 2005
  8. nobadnews

nobadnews Member

Thank you....I will try it

9. sui-cyco

sui-cyco Regular member

at camstuf

well you cant actually print color with a lightscribe.its not even printing.its "scribing" or etching.you flip the disc onto label side and then the laser etches onto it.so the image is gonna come out the color of the disc.no such thing as color-scribing yet.

10. camstuf

camstuf Guest

@sui-cyco,
    I was afraid of that; I just bought some removable labels for home stereo use.