1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Too many Tmpgenc's..!

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by demond21, Mar 15, 2005.

1. demond21

demond21 Member

Im curious to know which TMPGEnc software is needed for creating dvds from old home videos. I use windows movie maker to edit and export to AVI. and then what? I have Nero which came with my dvd burner. Now i was able to sucessfuly burn 2 dvds earlier with a trial of TMPGEnc, but i do know recall which one it was. It encoded my AVI. to a file that NERO accepted. Mabye mpeg or vob. theres TMPGEnc 3.0 xpress, Plus 2.5 and dvd sourve creator 2.0.... which one of these will get the job done??!

Thanks!

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

If you have an AVI file right now then you can use either "Tmpgenc Xpress" or "Tmpgenc Pluss" or "Tmpgenc DVD Source Creator" to encode your AVI file into a DVD Compliant Mpeg-2 file....
    All 3 of those programs do the same thing....

After you have the AVI file encoded to a DVD Compliant mpeg-2 file you will need to use a DVD authoring program to add your Menu"s and Chapters and to Burn the DVD..You can use "Tmpgenc DVD author" to do this But it is a Little too basic for me so i prefer DVDLab....

Cheers

3. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Go to www.Nero.com and download the Nerovision Express update. It's free, because you already own Nero.
    Load the avi, make chapters, menu's, whatever, author, encode, and burn.
    It's probably the best, simplest app you can use, without having to purchase ANY tmpgenc stuff (or any other for that matter).

4. demond21

demond21 Member

thanks for the response, however theres a problem. i need a serial number to use the update and i have the OEM suite versions of nero and there is no serial number. Also my AVI file i want to use it is to large to be put onto a stardard dvd disk. is there a way to fix that?

thanks!!

5. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

You can still get Nerovision Express.
    Even the OEM version came with a serial.
    Download it. During install, it should find your installation of Nero, and automatically put in the serial number. If it doesn't, contact Nero and explain that you have an OEM version, and need a serial for Nerovision Express. They are very accommodating in most cases (in my experience).
    If you have the original disk for Nero, the serial is on the cover, on a sticky.
    Doesn't matter how large your avi is. Nerovision Express will (should) prompt you to change some settings, or change them for you, so it all fits on one dvdr.
    If you want to try other programs (some are free) look here: http://members.shaw.ca/videojunk/all.htm

Last edited: Mar 15, 2005