1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tool to burn DVDlab authored DVD's

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by MaxLevel, Apr 22, 2005.

1. MaxLevel

MaxLevel Member

Hey there!
    I got a serious problem: I bought some DVD+R Dual Layers and want to burn a DVD I authored with DVDlab Pro. I know that the recomended tool to do this is CopyToDVD but that toll doesn't work for me. I had a lot of failing writings and now the tool always says that there is now tempary folder or something even though I selected one manually. So forget about this tool.

My question is if there is any other tool that burns a DVDlab authored DVD (it has to except the Video.TS)? I'd be so glad about any hint. Thank you, guys!

Take care, Max.

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Why don't you just burn with DVD Lab?
    Pretty much any burning program should be able to burn your VIDEO_TS folder. That is the standard. Nero Burning ROM works well for this and I have burned quite a few DVD Lab projects with it.

3. MaxLevel

MaxLevel Member

If I try to burn the DVD with DVDlab itself, it always freezes my system. And then I have to restart and my disc is not blank anymore. But I'll give Nero Burning Rom a try. I would have tried it earlier with Nero but I read that it couldn't burn Dual Layer DVDs. Thanx!

Even though this might help me, I'm not sure if it really does, so any further suggestions?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2005
  4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Here's the guide Nero has for Burning ROM:

ftp://ftp6.nero.com/Support_doc/PDFDVD/CreateVideo-DVD.pdf

Nero has supported DL for a while now. I have not tried it though.

I would recommend you make a short clip with DVD Lab and then burn to a DVD-RW just to get an idea of how it works.

You can always run your files through Shrink and simply burn to a DVD-5.

5. MaxLevel

MaxLevel Member

Thank you.
    I tried it now with Nero but it didn't work with a DL.
    It said something like 'Unkown disc format', so I guess I have a version of Nero which is too old to burn DLs. (I got Nero 6.6.0.3)
    Concerning Shrink - Doesn't the quality suffer?

6. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

The new version just came out but I think Nero supported DL for the past few updates.
    Yep the quality will suffer, weither you can notice is another question though. The reason I mention that is so that before you commit your project to an expensive DL disc, compress it and fit it on a DVD-RW. That will give you a chance to see how the whole thing looks and works.

I make all sorts of changes to projects I work on and sometimes what looks good on the PC monitor looks not so good on the TV...Nav buttons etc. Mine have been too bright or too small, wrong position etc.

7. MaxLevel

MaxLevel Member

I installed the new update and now Nero excepts Dual Layers but when I tried to burn the DVD my system crashed. Before the process started a note came up saying that the disc was recognized but not in the program's registration folder or something and that Nero would be able to write on it but it was recommened to check the written data after burning. I clicked on OK and the process started and then my system crashed. I'm tired of this! Please can anyone help me?!

8. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

The Nero software looks at list of media in the burner firmware registration folder. This way it can work with your burner's firmware to make the correct speed and power settings. If the media you are using is not in the folder, then it will use a default setting which may or may not work.

This would be a good time to check your firmware to make sure it is current.
    System crash...Did you get the Blue Screen of Death or did the program just kind of stall and then lock-up? For some reason burning programs do not fail very well. They will try the same operation over and over, locking you out.

At this point I would want to make sure that your burner firmware is up to date.
    I would still like to see you get this working with single layer DVD+RW. Once everything is working there then you can aattempt the DL burn.

9. MaxLevel

MaxLevel Member

I see. Thank you again!
    No, I didn't get the "Blue Screen of Death" ;)
    With the program crashing the whole system freezes.
    I'll follow your advice and buy a DVD-RW to test everything and I will take a look at the burner firmware but I got to do that tomorrow because I have to go to bed now to be fresh in the morning (college). I'll report how everything worked out. You aready helped me a lot. Thanx!

10. MaxLevel

MaxLevel Member

Well, I didn't have the time to buy a DVD-RW yet but I tried tu update my firmware but when I did this a massage popped up saying that the Download had failed and that Windows would have be re-started. And then the system re-started. This happend everytime I tried to update the firmware. I'm sort of freaking out! Do you have any idea?

11. MaxLevel

MaxLevel Member

Okay, I bought a DVD+RW and 'shrinked' the DVD I authored with DVDlab. It worked great. You almost can't see the difference. Is there any possibilty not to loose the menus and the links that go along with them?

12. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Shrink should leave all the menus and links intact unless you select Reauthor.

13. MaxLevel

MaxLevel Member

Thanx. I just used a bad guide which didn't inform about the option not to re-author.