1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tor--- does anyone use it? what are your thoughts on it?

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by Headborg, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

Going to try this out, was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with it?

2. bunny_c

bunny_c Guest

What's Tor?

3. thegrunt

thegrunt Regular member

You mean a torrent client??? State the name,nothing wrong with that

4. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

Tor allows anonymous browsing and anonymous P2P, email, IM, and IRC chat as well. Originally created by the US NAvy, but the source code is public now.

There is another product called JAP that is also supposed to be good for anonyminity. Its claim to fame is that they were so good they were forced to install a back door for police to catch pedophiles-later undone by court order.

I have not used either.

5. 42ALA

42ALA Member

Headborg : I have been useing it for about two weeks. Seems to be working,but slows everything down.Does anyone know if you use it with Peer Guardian it would provide more protection ? I have been useing both .

6. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

I would think the PeerGuardian would be a good idea to keep. I don't know the tech of this stuff, but since it rejects bad IPs, wouldn't it help your download speed?

Also it would stop the referral toMPAA most times so that could not hurt even if you have anonymized-theoritically they could break it.

As I said I do not know the tech-just thinking about what they do.

7. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

I'm looking into the exact tech behind peerguardian right now...but not finding anything very impressive...there would be a case for it-if it acted as a backup firewall for the one open port(assuming you opened/forwarded a dedicated port for your torrent client. This open port is basically a hole in your firewall(norton/McAfree, etc) If- peer guardian acted as a in bound filter....blocking those known IP's from masquerading as fellow peers attempting to share files with you-it would
    be a plus(small plus).

8. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

Holly Crap! talk about slowing down a connection....this just slowed my connection time down to dial-up speed( then again bouncing between 3 servers before reaching the exit node would tend to do that....I'm going to have to evaluate this...

yes, this is something like "gatling-proxy" not exactly...it doesn't switch routes...but "in theory" this kind of setup should make you much more secure..w/or without PeerGuardian. Now, if you could afford the Swedish IP address as your Proxy with 128bit encryption(paid for by MoneyOrder under a phony Name, etc) VPN- then run thru Tor.
    But you got to disable Java to avoid the security problem.

9. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

Nope, PG2 slows down your download speed...just like any other filter or process that must be passed thru.

10. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

Well PeerGuardian does slow down your connection, its not too much of a slow down.

I haven't had a problem with my upload or download running near-maximum while using PeerGuardian and I would rather loose a few Kb in either direction while filtering out the bad guys then have max speeds, just a few Kb higher then I have now, and get sued for thousands of dollars.

Peace

11. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

You shouldn't use Tor when downloading large files because your in effect killing the connection of everyone else on the network because of the massive bandwidth your pulling in. Heres a quote from the Tor wiki...

12. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

Yep..thanks...I see that now...I'll uninstall...too bad the Tor Network is still so small with limited Bandwidth. I found those "heated" debate threads about banning/blocking torrent ip's....yep, bandwidth is expensive...I wouldn't want to abuse/hog it....also no point in slowing down a torrent connection that much.
    Can't see much advantage in just torifing only the Tracker traffic, what's your opinion on that; just torifing the tracker only traffic?pros & cons?

Seems to me, if the Enemy is using 'traffic analysis' to identify P2P fileshares.....those massive bandwidth, sustained connections Peer-to-Peer would be the one's needing to be hidden, tunneled.

:scratches head: what about digital Ham radio to share/broadcast digital packets(torrents)??

13. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

yep, I used it too for about 2 years....just a minor speed bump..but, I only recall it updating the database about 3-4 times in that 2 years. But, the larger the database of banned blacklisted IP's get the slightly larger the lag. But, absolutely....it's such a minor lag, that would never be a reason to NOT use it.

I'll say one thing...if they'd set it up so you could 'auto' add the IP's of peers that upload crappy torrents or just plain 'leechers' I'd pay for the program.

14. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

Headborg
    You prob know this already, but Azureus has an option to "Kick and Ban" an individual in your swarm.

I realize this is not "auto", but I have also seen referenced a plugin called "Stuffer" that is supposed to work with the kick and ban. I do not know what it does, but it may have some type of auto response.

I also use the "SafePeer" plugin in Azureus and am a little confused. It talks about peers that have sent bad data-banned if limits exceeded. Do you know whether this is doing what you are talking about?

15. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

No, this might surprise you but In Fact I DON'T KNOW EVERYTHING ;-)
    I don't use nor have every used Azureus, I use UTORRENT client.
    Is Azureus Better?

as for SafePeer it's kissing cousins with PG it probably uses data collected by Azureus(pertaining to IP's that originated corrupt data..poor hackers in their spoofing attempts to alter header packet data, and embed virus, trojan , and other code in the data stream...have a hard time transmitting these with torrents..because the clients have
    so many duplicate sources to compare this data to...and when the altered data doesn't match...bingo corrupt data encountered) . But, other times, lets say a peer lives in bumfuck and has a problem with chipmunks chewing on his ethernet cables and from time to time his data he's sharing gets corrupted. There's probably a statistical % of corruption allowed for a given IP...but when that IP exceeds that limit...SafePeer adds that IP to the bad IP block list.

Which is again another positive for having such a program.

16. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

After I typed I realized it was off of the earlier stuff. Yes, it does surprise me, but there is a lot of stuff out there. Anyhow what you said made sense to me.

I have only used Azureus. It does seem to have more plugins and options. Not that I use them as of yet, other than the safepeer.

I am sure memory usage would be higher than with uTorrent. I have not had a CPU problem, but others have.